25 Oct 2016
Royston
Well you've all made some good points here!:giggle::giggle::giggle:

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
I'll expect a few folk to switch to one of the methods, they would turn out alright. Are we crossing the line with these awful puns?:tmi:

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I have very few faults with my railway John, and one of the reasons I suspect is because I maintain it. One motor in 12 years - not exactly expensive is it. Do you put secondhand oil in your car? - thought not.
I think you missed my point Alan, I am a great believer in recycling where at all possible and I believe that point motor may be salvageable, well worth a try. And yes Maintenance (regular preventive) is always to be applauded.

Gizzy

Gizzy

Railways, Aviation, Caravanning....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
A little late to the party, but I use Aircraft mastic to seal the screw and cable entry holes on my LGB motors.

I've mentioned here before that I have replaced rusted terminal blocks on some motors, by hard wiring them to a short cable that is long enough to connect to a corresponding motor's terminal used in a crossover configuration. I use a single decoder output to change these, and simply lengthen the pulse to maximum, which I find is adequate to change both motors together.

111049_96ea479fc9d79d3448401313ec734310.jpg

An example would be the junction above. Both the points are changed to either the straight road or the diverging one, as a pair. I added the LGB EPL supplementary switch units Type2 to operate signals. A single point decoder output had enough 'oomph' to drive both motors and the supplementary switch....