Well you've all made some good points here!:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I'll expect a few folk to switch to one of the methods, they would turn out alright. Are we crossing the line with these awful puns?:tmi:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have very few faults with my railway John, and one of the reasons I suspect is because I maintain it. One motor in 12 years - not exactly expensive is it. Do you put secondhand oil in your car? - thought not.
I think you missed my point Alan, I am a great believer in recycling where at all possible and I believe that point motor may be salvageable, well worth a try. And yes Maintenance (regular preventive) is always to be applauded.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
A little late to the party, but I use Aircraft mastic to seal the screw and cable entry holes on my LGB motors.

I've mentioned here before that I have replaced rusted terminal blocks on some motors, by hard wiring them to a short cable that is long enough to connect to a corresponding motor's terminal used in a crossover configuration. I use a single decoder output to change these, and simply lengthen the pulse to maximum, which I find is adequate to change both motors together.

03efe34fcaa04b94ac5531c4fe5d171a.jpg

An example would be the junction above. Both the points are changed to either the straight road or the diverging one, as a pair. I added the LGB EPL supplementary switch units Type2 to operate signals. A single point decoder output had enough 'oomph' to drive both motors and the supplementary switch....