Katie's Chuffer and IOM Pairs

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Hi all
I was recently asked to make a video demonstrating how to fit a Summerlands Chuffer to a Roundhouse Katie (or Lady Anne, or new Jack, or Billy etc). The short film is here if anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R809...Chuffer News" page as usual. Cheers Chris

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
Lovely stuff Chris, the chuff pipes are a great boon to the hobby.

Please let us know how you get on with coupling modifications on the IOM pairs coaches, are you fitting the choppers direct onto the headstocks? If so please report what minimum rdaius curves they will handle like that.

With the couplings on the drawbars (and thus the gaps between the coaches)I have run the coaches on 2'6" radius curves with ease. Has anyone tried 2' R1 yet?

Happy steamings,

John

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Hi Daniel
The idea of a chuff pipe is not new - folk were experimenting back in the 80's when I first got into live steam and probably before that. What I did was to carry out a number of trials to establish the key factors involved and then to develop a chuffer that would optimise the result. I discovered (partly by luck) just how crucial the design was, combining the upside-down sot in a narrow throat, a precision drilled jet and primary resonator above. And I was able to establish that the positioning of the chuffer in the chimney is as imprtant as everything else.
What I did "invent" though was the Roundhouse twin-exhaust adapter. I had been told it was impossible to connect one to the twin exhausts without silver soldering. Zoe Topper in the US thought different and it was her early work that inspired me to find a solution. My early work was recorded on my Summerlandsteam Youtube channel.
I then tried to give the design away to someone who would make and market it. I failed - partly because it is so complex and was, if I am honest, at an early prototype stage.
Nigel, a friend and fellow member of the local model engineering society, has a one man engineering business and agreed to have a go - and did a fantastic job. Nigel is, of course, now the Master Chuffer-maker.
Then, with the help of so many enthusiasts around the world, we were able to develop 18 versions tuned to specific locos - with more to come. Oh yes and in the 8 months we have sold over 800 - so it is great to hear you are happy with yours!
Sorry this is a long winded reply - but I am a bit passionate about these things - and I did edit out 1000 words before posting!!!!
Cheers
Chris

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Sea Lion said:
Please let us know how you get on with coupling modifications on the IOM pairs coaches, are you fitting the choppers direct onto the headstocks? If so please report what minimum rdaius curves they will handle like that.

Thanks for the kind words John! I wasn't planning to put them on the headstocks - I was planning to put a buffer face directly onto the drawbar with a small block behind to take a coupling pin. My smallest radius is 4 ft, so I hope to get them quite close. Having said that - the idea of mounting them on the headsticks is interesting - I might look at that too. Whatever I do, I can try them on 2ft 6ins as I have some Mamod track.

I suppose I had better get on and try it!!
Cheers
Chris

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
It will be most interesting Chris. I have had reports of someone running on LGB R3 (3'10" radius I think) with the couplings on the headstocks, no problems reported.

Happy steamings,

John