Just opened sourced my custom sound system

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I just released my project as open source. It's a very basic application that runs on a raspberry pi which gives you a web interface for playing custom sounds. You load the sounds onto the card, set up the config and go to a URL on your phone. It allows you to play sounds, control the speed of the sounds and loop soundtracks. Let me know if you have any feedback.

In total it was £25 worth of parts.

Doddy

Registered
30 Aug 2011
Abingdon-upon-Thames
Best answers
Country flag
I just released my project as open source. It's a very basic application that runs on a raspberry pi which gives you a web interface for playing custom sounds. You load the sounds onto the card, set up the config and go to a URL on your phone. It allows you to play sounds, control the speed of the sounds and loop soundtracks. Let me know if you have any feedback.

In total it was £25 worth of parts.

What does it do? Or do we make an educated guess?
MTIA

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
What does it do? Or do we make an educated guess?
MTIA
It gives you a web interface for playing sounds...

You mount the raspberry pi, speaker and power supply to the train then go to a website on your phone which gives you buttons to play sounds. Essentially the raspberry pi acts as a web server and uses the built-in audio-player (omxplayer) on the pi to play sound effect files. It gives you some basic controls, speed up/down, stop, start, loop.

For example, I have a steam running sound that I play on loop and speed up/down with the train. I also have a whistle and bell sound. I've mounted mine into one of my wagons. I switch it on, wait for it to boot (2-3 mins) then go to https://train:3000 on my phone/tablet/computer where I can control all the sounds.

This is also explained in a lot of detail on the README file. If might not be for everyone, but I am sharing in case someone finds it interesting.

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
So can I also control your train sounds through that web site while you are not looking? Maybe if you added motor control and a train camera to the system, then I could remotely control your trains and watch it from the same web site?

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
So can I also control your train sounds through that web site while you are not looking? Maybe if you added motor control and a train camera to the system, then I could remotely control your trains and watch it from the same web site?
You can’t, but it could be set up to allow it. in my setup it’s not currently public facing (behind a firewall etc). If you wanted to do this you could, but then have a problem about whose controlling what.

I would love it to control the trains as well, it is possible, but this is an on train system. To control power I would need to create another system which connects to the tracks to control the power going to the train.

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
You can’t, but it could be set up to allow it. in my setup it’s not currently public facing (behind a firewall etc). If you wanted to do this you could, but then have a problem about whose controlling what.

I would love it to control the trains as well, it is possible, but this is an on train system. To control power I would need to create another system which connects to the tracks to control the power going to the train.
Maybe it would be simpler with your system installed in an RC train with battery power, but have the pi control the ESC instead of using the RC controller. Replace the firewall with a paywall and you could have an online train video game experience.

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe it would be simpler with your system installed in an RC train with battery power, but have the pi control the ESC instead of using the RC controller. Replace the firewall with a paywall and you could have an online train video game experience.
Yep that would work! There are lots of examples of pi’s controlling ESC or even a DCC track.

I mostly built mine so my 18month old could press a button for the whistle/bell sound. Would love to expand it further but I dont have the time.