Just need to know where to connect the negative wire...

yellow_cad

Registered
1 Jul 2020
California
Best answers
I have an older 4-6-0 locomotive than I want for occasional usage. Went to get it going and the motor wouldn't run. Upon disassembly I see that both pos and neg wires were not attached to the motor. I can easily see where to re soldered the pos wire, but not sure on the neg wire. It almost looks as though it was intended to be mashed in contact with one of the metal axles, but I'm not sure if this is the case or it needs to be soldered and if so, where do I solder it? Thanks for any help on this. Jim

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jim,

We really need to know the loco, and a photo of two would be good.. :)

There should be two terminals on the motor, but there may have been some other electronics in there originally..

If you can give us a make and model, or pictures, I am sure we can get you going? - Though possibly tomorrow, as it is getting late here in the UK.

Are you wanting to power this from the track, or batteries? - Knowing your other thread.

PhilP.

yellow_cad

Registered
1 Jul 2020
California
Best answers
The motor has a short brass tab that extends out of the top (opposite to the drive) of the motor and this is what I assumed took the pos wire, but it appears that that tab and the wire attached to it would have to come in contact with the metal axle so maybe that's not where the pos wire goes or it would ground out through the wheels.

yellow_cad

Registered
1 Jul 2020
California
Best answers
This has been converted over to run on a 12 volt battery. It is a typical cylinder motor. I'll try on the pictures soon.

yellow_cad

Registered
1 Jul 2020
California
Best answers
OK got the two leads even though the neg wire seems to have a extra wire going off the neg wire and neg motor lead. Since this unit is battery powered I don't see any need to go through the wheels to get an extra ground, but maybe I'm missing something.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If you are battery...
Do NOT connect the wheels, or any other skates /pickups as well.

You want to be isolated from the track.

PhilP

yellow_cad

Registered
1 Jul 2020
California
Best answers
Thanks it all makes sense now. I appreciated the input. Jim

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jim - glad you're making headway. But, for future reference, when asking for help you really need to let the forum members know the make and model of the locomotive! Especially when you don't provide any photos. Otherwise, we're just guessing which may or may not help.

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A picture speaks 1000 words

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A picture speaks 1000 words
I wonder if he does not know how to upload a pic to the forum and is afraid to admit it? Do not be we are all happy to guide you if you need help in using the forum.

yellow_cad

Registered
1 Jul 2020
California
Best answers
Sorry, but I don't know what make the locomotive is and I was going to do pictures, but I needed to charge my camera batteries over night. Obviously, I don't take a lot of photos.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, but I don't know what make the locomotive is and I was going to do pictures, but I needed to charge my camera batteries over night. Obviously, I don't take a lot of photos.
Great a pic will certainly give us a clue when you can manage one, hope I did not offend with my previous post any offence was certainly not meant.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Over here in the USA a 4-6-0 is also known as a ten-wheeler, and is almost always a Bachmann 4-6-0 Big Hauler as they are ubiquitous. I'll bet it looks a bit like this.

91601.jpg

Here is George Schreyer's Technical Tips page for these locos:
Big Haulers Tips

This photo. from George's thread, shows the motor leads - which (I was almost sure) are pointing to the sides of the locomotive, not up/down. (Ignore the resistors - George was adding DCC.)

080930_girr_mtn_div_ek_big_hauler_dcc_before_install_5761.jpg

Jim - a US forum like Largescalecentral.com will have more info about these locos.