Just another argument for Kadees

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
Today, after some smaller "openings" for the 2010 season, i did some heavy operations on the CCRR.
Nearly all goods-cars were on duty, and to bring this up and down the line, all 3 running locos were working hard.

I have to admit that the kadees dont work properly EVER. But no automatic coupler does, especially in curves and on body-mount-technique.

BUT, whenever there was a disturbation of operation this day, it was because of "other" loose couplers.
Thank goodness i have no maore Bachmann Standard couplers on duty, only those of the spectrum-line, that are much better.
The other bachmanns always tent to lift the pin step by step. Untill the coupler opened.

So, driving my body-mounted kadees, i ran a double-header connie on the edge of traction power: no problems
Even when i took one of the machines as push on the tail, i got no problems.

Great fun to have this on duty.

Some pics added, youtubelinks will follow.

Greetings

Frank

b0edec4168c84f5c9feb91971806bca6.jpg

c295292ddd0846478c8d33cc9e89837e.jpg

8020f31e05014c0bbda75a8a28b8a6f6.jpg

f3eae6d6cc704800b776e9fc5c315062.jpg

08759070632e4bd7bd8ba217923d8247.jpg

ae1dd292c2ab41ed8d482f7b2b090c45.jpg

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Nice photos Frank! See you have some sunshine also!
Mick

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
Good to see the bridges have been re-built Frank. Looking good.

coyote97

9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
Hi there,

the bridges wasnt the problem, nothing was damaged on them, even though the big truss bridge layed down completely.
The bigger problem was the rail they have torn out with this downfall.
Interestingly there were some joiners bent and the whole thing was some kind of "out-of-size", but there was no really big damage. But its repaired now.

First video for this spring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ITt6CZSHOk

My Connies bringing a 56-car-axles (92 axles all in all) up the mountain line. 14 cars lead by the red connie and pushed by the black one (some day, they will have numbers....<sigh> ).
Even though it seems like the abutment of the bridge is "hanging", the fish itself makes up a 4% grade, while the abutment is even.
On those 4%, 6 cars, max. 7 cars are a load for a connie (for safe operation). So, this train is not "impossible", i think they would take 2 or 3 cars more. But on some point, it should be ok......14 is enough for an impressive train on this little, steep railroad.

Perhaps one or two more vids following.

Greetings

Frank

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
[align=center]Your picture a re very impressive very nice indeed.

I had a few problems with my Kadees at the weekend, and found that due to my roller coaster tracwork in places, the couplings were hanging up on each other, I think I found the problem that inside of the jaw there is a mold line from the casting, I filed it flat very carefully so as not to damage the lip near to it, and then applied a little black graphite grease, they have been perfect so far even thro my S bends being pushed, I got to 34 cars and ran out of stock,

I use 820 and 920 units body mounted, I used to use 830 and found they were even better, they also work very well with the old aristo type.
[/align]

coyote97

9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
Had some problems on mylargescale.com.
Video wasnt shown, but noe it is...strange....hope it works here to all.

34 cars is a tail of a train, wow!
But really theres no way to operate this with every kind of standard coupler. Exept one: the "new" Bachmann Spectrum coupler.
This is relatively safe and works through sharp "S", too (1200mm rad.).

But its -on the other hand- the fattest, biggest, ugliest coupler on the market. It would have worked as well by making it half as big. No use and no urgency to construct it like it is.

For safe operation, a layout has to be able to allow trainbuilding to the edge of a locos traction power.
If this loco gets to stand still or slip by overload, there should not be any accidents with the cars.

If so, the cars are too lightweighted or the curves are too sharp.

If a loco has that much traction power that it pulls or pushes out a train, its simply too heavy and too powerful for such operations. Theres a reason why 300m radius are considered "sharp" with a SG railroad.
With this 300m on mainlines, Trains in Germany are reduced to a max. of 120 axles.

Especially the truck-mounted model-couplers dont allow to have longs trains in operation. Maybe it works with some load on even track with pulling, but try to brake down such a long train on a slope: the trucks will "stand up" and the whole thing is thrown out.

No doubt: theres nearly no way to come over bodymounted kadees if u like to have longer trains and safe operations.

Frank