G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
The title is a safety message broadcast in Queensland each cane harvesting season Jul-Dec and still we manage to total people and vehicles who try to out run the trains.
A train of 100 wagons of 3 ton bins with no brakes except on the loco is really hard to stop in a hurry.
Fortunately there has not been an accident on this railway.

Merged_document(5).jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
... and still we manage to total people and vehicles who try to out run the trains.
Speaking of crushing, a couple of weeks ago some fool got shmucked by a VIA train at a level crossing a few miles down the line from here. No official word on what happened, but speculation is that he tried to dodge around the gates. :rolleyes:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Rail Safety Week here in a few weeks.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Speaking of crushing, a couple of weeks ago some fool got shmucked by a VIA train at a level crossing a few miles down the line from here. No official word on what happened, but speculation is that he tried to dodge around the gates. :rolleyes:
Rail Safety Week here in a few weeks.
Not sure we have a Rail Safety Week specifically in UK though I may be wrong in this, but whatever you do it is not possible to stop idiots being well...idiots on crossings. A look through You Tube shows some real horror stories of both wheel and foot transgressions.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure we have a Rail Safety Week specifically in UK though I may be wrong in this, but whatever you do it is not possible to stop idiots being well...idiots on crossings. A look through You Tube shows some real horror stories of both wheel and foot transgressions.
The crossing behind my house has seem a number of deaths, and some idiot has put posters up "To make the crossing safer", easy euthanise some of the idiots at birth.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I always feel sorry for the poor chap killed near us on foot crossing. He drove to a pub, had a couple of beers (really, he wasn't drunk, just knew he was over the limit for driving) walked home but tripped up on the unlit crossing and knocked himself out. Unfortunately he was still unconscious when the next train came through

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Back in the days when our railway was still a 'full blown' Government department, we used to have to do the site measure ups of all the fatal incidents, for the Coroner's Court. Fortunately, the Fire and Police did the clean up of the human remains.
Later on, in the PC world, the Police took over total control. I'd often get sent to a site, in a hurry, and would grab an assistant (to hold the other end of the tape measure), not telling them what we off to do.... until they saw the train (usually far away in the distance) and Fire, Police, and Ambulance. Not a pretty job, but it had to be done. It is a sensitive topic, I have many friends that have had the unfortunate experience of an on track fatality. One of the worst aspects, is the train nutters who find out they are a driver, then ask if they have had an incident. If that's not bad enough, they then demand to know all the details. If I'm around when this happens, I give the nutter some 'travel advice', to a two word place whos second name is Off.

I have, over the years, often volunteered for the Rail Safety programmes, usually visiting schools and level crossings. Recently, we had large class of pupils assembled at a level crossing, when this idiot member of the public wandered up and crossed the track whilst wearing earphones. I attracted his attention, with various versions of sign language, and he sheepishly removed said impediment, I think the embarrassment was lesson enough. Unfortunately, that is probably the major cause of fatalities today.

Reactions: 1 user

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
The worst accident I have heard about involving a cane train is a motorcyclist who hit the centre of a train that was across a road and derailed 5 cane bins each holding 3 ton of cane. Suffice to say he did not make it.

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
The title is a safety message broadcast in Queensland each cane harvesting season Jul-Dec and still we manage to total people and vehicles who try to out run the trains.
A train of 100 wagons of 3 ton bins with no brakes except on the loco is really hard to stop in a hurry.
Fortunately there has not been an accident on this railway.

View attachment 287641
In Cuba the cane cutting season is around January to March/April
Here is some pics based in n the end of steam activity in the very early 2000s
The layout is Inglaterra, E0532F53-874E-4511-A3E1-F90531B2C004.jpeg5E790D02-E7C4-4C12-AD06-AA4B1AA11778.jpeg4A94F1AC-C709-4CC3-90EF-0823A9EBB3F9.jpegF3C141B2-0B29-476E-9145-2BBEF27C1345.jpeg08538236-90C8-4C29-8B77-B2C0810870E0.jpegE0532F53-874E-4511-A3E1-F90531B2C004.jpegmy Cuban Sugar Mill loco depot

Reactions: 1 user