Is there a prototype for LGB 2x15x 0-4-0 tender loco?

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I think the one in Mike's photo is of the assembled cardboard model, not the LGB one.....
The early LGB version in the green KPEV livery is very attractive, but I think it is physically the same model as the black DR versions.

Jon.
I have both, and this is correct.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
These are close.

http://www.spanishrailway.com/2012/03/28/ferrocarril-de-la-estacion-de-utrillas-a-minas-de-utrillas/

image022-668x444.png

Ferrocarril-Turistico-de-Utrillas-locomotora-Hulla-autor-desconocido.png

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I cant supply a pic, but theres a dead ringer for the 2017, sans tendr, in the denver forney museum. O and K too. Large balloon type stack with saw tooth edge, ob the rear , toward the cab, very river boat i think. Green too, if i recall.

Prototypical or not, i love these locos, if simply due to being one of the few tendr locos lgb offered.
And, imho, with a touch of added lead, great performers. Still one of my favs.

Of these euro / western versions,
I have 2 green, 1 black, 2 yellow, and one.....mauve...my fav. Np reason, really.

MAUVE??????????? :eek:
Really?? :think:

Lobethalbahn2

Registered
21 Dec 2009
Canberra
Best answers
Country flag
Came across these pictures of MPSB/DR 99 3001 in service from a new book I acquired recently 'Dampbf blebt Dampf 2: Mit Gunter Meyer in den Norden'. Although there are a lot of differences it is interesting to note the similarities too.

mpsb-dr-99-3001.jpg

mpsb-dr-99-3001-2.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
MAUVE??????????? :eek:
Really?? :think:
yup
google an image of LGB 2217D

I think this loco might have been around the time of the queen mary series ("QMS"), which also had some unusual colored stuff, pink box cars, light green tank cars, etc., but , my 2217 box does not indicate it as a QMS loco

While, as I understand it, Mauve is typically a pale purple flower color, the deeper burgundy purple is also called Mauve, although not really a true purple.

The odd color, or colour;), is a nod to LGBs Pastelania Railroad, or so I read somewhere. Another modeler's rather creative pastoral train world that allows the momentary suspension of disbelief. Very Victoriana.

I like the mauve, as, it looks very nice with the brown version of the LGB Baumer Mtn coaches, or, at least, I like it....YMMV.

Last edited:

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Came across these pictures of MPSB/DR 99 3001 in service from a new book I acquired recently 'Dampbf blebt Dampf 2: Mit Gunter Meyer in den Norden'. Although there are a lot of differences it is interesting to note the similarities too.

View attachment 235090

View attachment 235091

thanks for those!!!
great photos, and, I am surprised at the bottom most photo...the length of the train is surprising to me for such a small loco. I thought they could pull about 2-4 two axel coaches tops. at least that is what I think I recall from the Salzkammergut photos, but maybe that was simply the number selected for the tourist trains????

metzbahner

Registered
10 May 2010
www.etsy.com
Best answers
Hey gang, I love the small tender locos too!

But yes funny there is no "dead ringer" for a German black or green loco like the 2015 body and cab. The pics posted are more like Otto or Stainz cabs. It makes me wonder ...the American 2017 seems to be more accurate ( after years or decades Yanks saying the loco was toy made up). I never balked at the 2017 design because my only mining engine I grew up with was Knott's Mining Train that made me feel the Lgb 2017 series was very realistic. The US mining engines had open cab at back center, canopy flanged roof, and Lgb got this right. Makes me wonder since Lehmann did not have one US prototype steam in the 70s, but had made a caboose and 4061 gondola, Wolfgang made a US specific cab to convert the 2015 to a 2017 to fill in the Yank steam void. It may be the 2015 cab is a prototypical cab purposely taken from US engines .

Reactions: 1 user

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Wolfgang made a US specific cab to convert the 2015 to a 2017 to fill in the Yank steam void. It may be the 2015 cab is a prototypical cab purposely taken from US engines .

As far as I know there is hardly any difference between the 2015 (green Euro) and 2016 (grey D&RG) cabs.
The motor block is almost the same as a Stainz motor block. The cylinders, lack of running boards and other small details like domes and springs are slightly different. The rest is much the same.
For the US version, LGB just put on a cow catcher and depending on model changed the stack and headlight.
They were made in both clam shell and bottom plate type motor blocks over the years.
Not all engine motor blocks run the same speed as the tender motor blocks so watch out for that if mating them up from different releases.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well well the world has indeed proved their is a prototype for pretty much anything. None of my books thus far has turned up anything like the Polish T2, but there it is and preserved too by the looks of it. Perhaps the Richters were more savy than we give them credit for on the real thing in their early days. Lovely little beast and in that part Roundhose as well.