Is the Bachmann Dynamis DCC system suitable for controlling a G-Scale indoor layout ???

Railway42

LGB, Radio Control Model Boat, Electronics
28 Feb 2013
Cheddar
Best answers
Country flag
Hi
If it is something you have already it will run a Staines loco. as the out put is 2.5 amps at 16 volts. but if you put say the LGB Rougen loco on the track it will only just move as it has a 10v start up voltage. If you are buying new the LGB MTSIII or second hand LGB MTSII at 5 amps and an 18 or 20 AC input or up to 24Volt DC input. I am a great believer in only using the controllers of the manufacturers loco. ie LGB or Massoth for LGB ( all the electronics are produced by Massoth)
most problems are by mixing brands.

Hope this is of sum interest
Alan

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
As stated the Dynamis is really only suited to indoor operation as the infra red signal requires direct line of sight (think television remote controller). If your railway is more than a simple oval then multiple receivers and the professional upgrade will be needed. The end result is a high financial outlay for a less than suitable largescale product.

Unlike others I prefer a more refined control system (not OEM sourced) and chose a ten amp NCE wireless system (not legal in your country). The MTS system is manufactured by Massoth but I really would not consider them on par with a genuine Massoth branded item. Remember Massoth also licence Piko to use their software and the Piko setup is no where near as refined as the original Massoth product.

If you have not purchased a Dynamis then my advice is find another system as the Dynamis has too many limitations when considering largescale usage (limited range, low power output without resorting to boosters). It is fine for an indoor 'OO' railway.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I will happily second Tim's mention of NCE. I run a 10 amp system and find it very reliable and friendly to use.

As Tim says, the NCE wireless stuff is not legal here in the UK, I would say that's the only downside as I would occasionally like to be able to wander round the garden with throttle in hand, but the vast majority of the time I'm perfectly happy parked in a comfy chair watching trains go by and operating points etc. with just one long network cable running back into the house.

On the other hand, I've had wireless operation going using a little netbook computer running JMRI and comunicating to the NCE command station. This included loco throttles and a full diagram of the layout to operate the points. Fun, but I think real buttons are better for point control therefore I have a little control panel box using another NCE module which hooks into the DCC bus alongside the throttles.