Is putting decoder next to motor bad?

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
I am in The process of converting my LGB 20471 Ballenberg rack locomotive to DCC and am encountering lots of trouble fitting everything inside. The best fit I have come up with involves leaning the decoder against the motor but I am worried that heat might be an issue? What do you think, should I be worried? Or maybe if I put something between the decoder and the motor I might get away with it?

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Have you looked at the exploded diagram for the loco? I've got one of the FO sets that are being lusted after that has the same loco in FO livery. It has a basic smoke unit but is digital. The diagram might give you an idea where to put things. I realize the ESU or Massoth smoke unit you're installing might screw things up space wise but it might be worth a look.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Probably not ideal, but if need's-must..

Make sure there is something resilient between the two (plastic from a take-away tub is a favourite here) to avoid metal to circuit board contact.
The other concern could be heat-soak from the motor to the decoder electronics?

i doubt there would be interference from the motor into the decoder? - Unless the motor was *really* noisy (electronically).

Mock it up on rollers (or blocks) and run it at a decent speed.. Monitor for heat build-up, every few minutes, for an hour (say). Make allowances for the fact it will all be enclosed, when running in the garden, and think about it being in full-sun as well..
If warm, but not hot, then you should be OK.

PhilP.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Simmer at 170 for 30 minutes - thank you Pru :p:p:p

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
Have you looked at the exploded diagram for the loco? I've got one of the FO sets that are being lusted after that has the same loco in FO livery. It has a basic smoke unit but is digital. The diagram might give you an idea where to put things. I realize the ESU or Massoth smoke unit you're installing might screw things up space wise but it might be worth a look.
I assume your loco has a decoder that is shaped very differently, this one actually had a rectangular lenz decoder that fit very well underneath the coal tank on the side. I pulled it out in favor of the esu decoder I am using because I would like to maintain compatability with my esu computer interface.

CharlieBear

Registered
7 Apr 2020
Ladybarn
Best answers
Country flag
If I recall correctly it will fit under the cab roof?

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
If I recall correctly it will fit under the cab roof?
I actually ended up putting a very flat speaker up there! You' cant see it unless you lie right down next to the train and look up. Decoder would fit there also.