IP Engineering wheels and LGB pointwork

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
You may have seen from a couple of other threads that IP Engineering wheels are not compatible with LGB pointwork, particularly R1 points. Here's how I found a solution to the problem.

http://youtu.be/oI2ACndwMAQ

The main problem is that the profile of the flanges of the IP Engineering wheels is too fine, and hence the check rails don't guide the wheels through the frogs.

IMG_2920.JPG

One solution (suggested by Mel) is to discard the IP Engineering wheels and replace them with, for example, Bachmann 24.5mm diameter metal wheels.

This I did successfully on my two IP Engineering Cattle Wagons (thanks Mel!)

IMG_2917.JPG

although it did entail some surgery on the wagons as the wheel assemblies are wider than the IP Engineering wheelsets and hence the solebars had to be moved.

However, when it came to re-wheeling my Swift Sixteen corrugated van, I struggled. The axles are mounted inside brass tubes and I figured there was no way the Bachmann wheels could be mounted in the same way.

IMG_2317.JPG

So, a re-think was needed. What if I could change the profile of the IP wheels, I thought.

I decided that if I could fix a 1.5mm thick plasticard disc behind each wheel, then maybe they would get through the pointwork unscathed. Firstly, squares of plasticard were superglued to the back of each wheel.
IMG_2926.JPG

There were then roughly trimmed and finally 'turned' with a file and a drill.
IMG_2929.JPG

The resulting 'disked' wheels now run a lot more reliably through LGB R1 points, even when in reverse-curve formation, as can be seen in the video.
IMG_2921.JPG

The cattle wagons have Bachmann wheels while the black corrugated van has 'disked' wheels.

http://youtu.be/oI2ACndwMAQ

For more detail, see the posting on my blog - http://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/how-i-made-ip-engineering-wheels.html < Link To http://riksrailway.blogsp...ngineering-wheels.html

Rik

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
A simple and very clever solution....

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
That's a great fix Rik. :clap::clap:

I could resurrect all of my IP wheels now, but unfortunately they've been left out in the scrapyard and have accumulated about 1/2" of rust. :rofl::rofl:

I will give the plasticard fix a try if I buy any more kits though. Thanks. :D

RobB

All models, boats, heli's, planes, cars, trains et
13 Dec 2009
South Wales UK
Best answers
Hi,

All my kits are now sold with Accucraft wheels, they have been since last May :)

Rob
Swift Sixteen.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Smart idea :clap:
Just out of interest, does there exist a suitable diameter and thickness of washer that would do the same? :thinking: Just thinking out loud, but surely between AF, BS, DIN and company there should be something that can be had off the shelf?

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
RobB said:
Hi,
All my kits are now sold with Accucraft wheels, they have been since last May :)
Rob
Swift Sixteen.
Thanks for the update, Rob. I did buy my van kit early on I must admit.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Had a thought overnight. The 'disked' wheels still drop into the frog - if an extra rim (say 1mm) was left on the plastic disc it should stop the wheel dropping into the frog as it passes through. I'll do some further experimentation today (weather permitting!) and let you know the outcome.

Rik
PS - the washers idea sounds really good - I assume they would be around 24mm diameter and approx 1.5mm thick - though could probably get away with anything between 1mm and 1.5mm thick.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Yes - as I suspected - leaving a rim of about 1mm around the edge of the flange stops the wheel from dropping into the frog.
5dee57d0c2b94d0ab9c8a965f4297727.jpg

a35435a67b454865b23a9386e81fb6e9.jpg

Mind you, it is slightly more difficult to create the rim than to file it down to match the existing flange edge.

Rik

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Damn good solution to the smooth running of our railways

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
pugwash said:
Smart idea :clap:
Just out of interest, does there exist a suitable diameter and thickness of washer that would do the same? :thinking: Just thinking out loud, but surely between AF, BS, DIN and company there should be something that can be had off the shelf?
I tried it with some metal washers I came across in the garage (no idea what official size they are - but they were about right).

e8303663185046888b7b897adb1aab30.jpg

It does work - but the washers make the wheels a lot heavier and there's a bit more work involved in filing them to chamfer the rear edge. I think if you're prepared to put the work in it might be another option. For now I'm happy with the plasticard, but time will tell whether this is a long-term fix.

Rik

Timbo

Registered
12 Apr 2016
Philippines
Best answers
I have come across this problem also with an IP wagon derailing on a specific LGB R3 RH point. The wagon consistently lifts one wheel as it passes across the point. I will swap the wheels as suggested.
The wagon passes all other R3 points without problem. I use no R1s as they produce even more crashes.
Thanks Rik for the tip.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at that first picture, I would say that the problem is the back-to-back measurement.

On the 1:1 railway, the wheel flange does not keep the train on the track, but when you get to points, both the 1:1 and the model work in the same way.

The check rail, acting on the back of the flange, will only guide the other wheel through the frog if the back-to-back measurement is correct.

You can check it with callipers, a ruler or...................

The method that I use is to line the offending pair of wheels up with an LGB plastic wheelset ('cos I don't run plastic wheels) using the Mk 1 eyeball.

This method has worked for me over a variety of gauges over the years, but works easily with G Scale >:)>:)>:)>:)>:)

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
Looking at that first picture, I would say that the problem is the back-to-back measurement.

On the 1:1 railway, the wheel flange does not keep the train on the track, but when you get to points, both the 1:1 and the model work in the same way.

The check rail, acting on the back of the flange, will only guide the other wheel through the frog if the back-to-back measurement is correct.

You can check it with callipers, a ruler or...................

The method that I use is to line the offending pair of wheels up with an LGB plastic wheelset ('cos I don't run plastic wheels) using the Mk 1 eyeball.

This method has worked for me over a variety of gauges over the years, but works easily with G Scale >:)>:)>:)>:)>:)

Inclined to agree, I learned from building points that a consistent back to back measurement for all wheelsets is more important than a consistent gauge over the outside of the flanges. If you can push the IP wheels in a little on the axle it should work.

If the wheelset is dropping into the frog you could always shim the flangeway with a thin bit of brass or something. If you have a mix of different flange depths you might have to find a bit of a compromise, but if you bend the bit of brass to form a bit of a ramp at each end it's not too bad.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
IMHO there is a bit too much emphasis on the question of 'fine scale' wheels.

In G scale (accepting the wide generality of the definition) the difference between coarse and fine only relates to the flange depth. Get the back-to-back right, and you've solved 99% of the problems.

There were some early Bachmann plastic wheelsets where the back-to-back was too narrow, and these used to ride up over the wing rails on the points - the best solution for these old wheelsets is either to use them as scenic detailing or put them in the bin :D:D:D

I've got rid of my last LGB point (R3) but I never had serious problems with the finer flanged wheels dropping into the flangeway - mind you, most of my wheelsets are over 30mm diameter, so that will make a difference, but loco pony trucks, and the odd wagon are on anything from 20mm to 25mm diameter. I also have two #6 radius points which, in theory, should have longer gaps at the frog, but I don't notice any undue rail riding problems.

I suppose bogie stock will always ride a bit smoother, as the bogie motion will take out a lot of irregularities, and I only indulged in some 4w Accucraft US wagons after I'd got rid of the LGB point. My 4w caboose rides on an old Aristocraft sprung chassis, so again, this will take out a lot of track irregularity.

My 0-6-0 diesel (currently out of commission) runs on fine flange wheels (Tenmille product) and was fairly comfortable through the LGB point - it was less comfortable on some of my rough track, but never to the point of derailment :tmi::tmi: