Introducing our figures with 50% for Black Friday (and tomorrow too)

DeanPunchard

Registered
25 Nov 2016
Huddersfield
Best answers
Hello!

I haven't been on this forum before, but thought I would say hello! I create miniatures generally for the 16mm garden rail scale. The figures I create are made from 3D scanning real people, which I think adds to the authentic appearance of them.

Anyway head over to http://designscanprint3d.bigcartel.com/ and take a look.

Once you've added figures to the cart, head to the Checkout and use the code BLACK and 50% should be knocked off.

Enjoy :)

Miniature_Shot_02-1600x1017.jpg

* PS the miniatures above we're painted by a customer and all our figures are supplied in white.

Reactions: 1 user

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
They certainly look good. Shame I'm not in the market for such things at the moment.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I had a few of these figures earlier on in the year. They are excellent. I hasten to add that I have no connection with the company.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Nice figures.... just a suggestion, as this is (mostly) a G scale forum - although of course a number of folks here do 16mm as well - can you offer the same prints in 1:22.5 scale to match in with ranges like Preiser and Prehm...?
They would need to be about 85% of the size of the "16mm" versions, assuming that 16mm is effectively 1/19.

Jon.

DeanPunchard

Registered
25 Nov 2016
Huddersfield
Best answers
Hi Jon,

I can print at a smaller scale, however it's not something I currently do. I can look into this for the future of course.

Dean

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I think you'd find it worth your while, Dean - it would open up the whole of the G-scale side of the hobby (including the huge German market of course) for you rather than just the 16mm fraternity.... I know that some folks are happy to mix 16mm and G figures, but when a typical 16mm one is about a head taller than the same figure in G then the visual difference is (in my opinion anyway) enough to matter. Bachmann have acknowledged this commercially, by doing some 16mm versions of their G scale releases, so they obviously think there is a good market for both!

Thanks anyway.

Jon.

DeanPunchard

Registered
25 Nov 2016
Huddersfield
Best answers
Thanks for the info Jon. I'm open to new areas to venture into. This is a part time thing for me, and to be honest I didn't even know how big the model train scene was until last year. I'm still fascinated and amazed by it all now!

I may trail a the drives at G scale next year and see what happens.

Many thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Good call Dean, and as Jon says scaling some to G/45 could be well worth your money.
Never mind the completely out of scale horrible Chinese junk, I think you will find people here will pay the price for the quality. Keep us informed!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
At £5.00 a pop, that is very good..

How long does it take to scan a person? - I wonder if you could offer a scanning service at the show(s), and then go away and print??

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Phil, you obviously were not at Peterborough - that's where this all started.
And that price is for the standard range - unique scans are a bit more - its all in the web site.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Correct.. That's why I asked da question!

If you can turn-round a scan (with the paperwork etc.) in, say, 15 minutes.. Then that should be a nice little earner.

I do wonder if the pricing is sustainable though?
Wear and tear on the printer(s). Cost per print of filament. Heat, light, power. Carriage, packing materials, admin.. All adds up.

Harrogate-Folk

Retired and busy
19 Jul 2016
Harrogate, North Yorkshire
Best answers
Just ordered 4 people at the promo price to try them out

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Your work is superb. The detail and poses are true to life. The facial detail and clothing is, to my eye, very British Isles. Little works of art.

So, would you ship to The Colonies, and are there any roadblocks ie customs etc. i think they might be fine with some g scale if properly placed. The larger size and detail are the reward for any compromise. I am excited about the prospect of painting a dozen or so.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Love the range and detail. I like the info' you have given of physical size, so often missing from other suppliers.
I have ordered 5 and look forward to trying them.

Enginehouse

Amateur Radio, 16mm/G scale railways
24 Oct 2009
Peterborough
Best answers
Just ordered 4 people at the promo price to try them out

Me too! Had there been some quarry type "flat cap" seated workers I would have ordered a lot more. I need a whole heap, as discussed earlier today at the Steam In Beds show where the open quarry Penrhyn etc quarry workers open carriages were being discussed as a cheap and easy to build but expensive to fill option. Even a Ffestiniog type free running slate rake with one brake man on each wagon can be pretty expensive. When (taking the very popular Peter Binnie slate wagons as an example), the figure on the back can easily cost more than the wagon kit. Or how about filling one of the HGLW summer coach kits?

Huge hole in the market for good quality unpainted figures and nice to see someone having a go.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
They look superb, and great to see them at 16mm/ft. They are on my wish list!

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
... - can you offer the same prints in 1:22.5 scale to match in with ranges like Preiser and Prehm...?

Jon.

if he does that, i am afraid, quality would suffer.
i have toyed around with printing figures, and while 1:19 gave (more or less) decent results, 1:22.5 resulted in borderline quality prints, and 1:29 and 1:32 came out simply not usable.
it seems to lie in the nature of the printing process, that smaller, irregular shaped objects can not be printed precisely enough.
(and the more precise commercial "printing" methods are still too expensive)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I've recently been doing quite a lot work-wise with 3D print, Korm, so I know just what you mean about the high-definition work being expensive! I'm having VERY small parts printed in ultra high definition to use as masters, so moulding and casting from them then in white metal - the end results are superb, but the cost of printing works out at about £10 per cubic centimetre - so a whole large figure done that way would be well over £100...... perhaps acceptable as a master to mass-produce from, but not to actually make prints to sell....
I can understand that going down as small as 1/29 or 1/32 on a low-definition printer would be problematic, but I'm quite surprised that the relatively small reduction from 1/19 to 1/22.5 really makes all that much difference....?

Jon.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It is probably just on the 'cusp' between 1:19 and 1:22.5??
The lower-end machines print quite coarsely (IMHO).. There is a problem with how to get a smooth finish, which is (obviously) quite dependent on the material being used..
Had LGB motion-parts (spares of which are not available) made-up..

They look 'all-right', but the plastics soon wears. - Thoughts are to try to print round short sections of brass tube, to act as a crude bearing surface..