Inspection car prototype

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Thought I'd share my latest brain fart with you all.....

P3150007.jpg

OK, I admit, this thing looks REALLY, REAALLLY goofy.... BUT

As you push it along the track with a single finger, it checks for: level, cross level, dead power spots, high wing and closing rails, stones in the flangeway, mis-alignments and other in-gauge obstructions, locates small twists and dips, and verifies all proper clearances.... What more could you ask for? No, it doesn't make toast. Sorry.

Perpendicular levels and a simple GoW bulb wired to one axle. The car is built very light so it will derail if there's anything obstructing the flangeway.
P3150003_01-1.jpg

It has a rigid 4 wheel suspension, if it rocks you have a dip or high spot. One end has the exact same width and overhang as my c-16's pilot plow.

The other end has the wheelset nearly flush with the end of the car, and has a drag bar that skims just above the rail head to help detect obstructions.
P3150005-1.jpg

Clearance/loading gauge just lifts off when not needed
P3150002-1.jpg

Maybe I need to tart it up a bit and market it?

Andrew

Garden Railways in all scales
26 Oct 2009
Bomaderry, NSW, Australia
Best answers
All great inventions start with a rough small idea. I see a use for it on my layout. We see what others have to add as input.
Regards from Andrew

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
if you think about it, it would be a greaT seller!! for anyone planning a railway, or extending, or modifying there line.. brillent idea!!:clap:

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Board members are welcome to build your own 'under license'... Only condition is you MUST agree to help a new guy out, or a kid get started when you get the chance. Fair 'nuff?

Bill of materials:
1 Bachmann freight car base
2 Bachmann bobber caboose axle mounts
2 metal wheelsets
3 angle brackets
2 spirit line levels
1 18v Grain of Wheat bulb
5 screws
5" brass jewelry wire
1 9-1/4" x 12" piece of plexi, styrene or even thin plywood
12" of 3/8" x 3/8" basswood (or pine, or even styrene) for pilot beam and braces
All purpose Contact Adhesive

Only hard part was the loading gauge, and even that is fairly easy thanks to Vance Bass. Scale is 1:20
DRGWstds20.3.gif

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
clever lad