inernal size of 2.5mm nuts?

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi,

I am working towards a new bridge that will use 2.4mm welding rods, for the vertical and horizontal tension rods, has anyone a measurement for the inside (where the screw thread is ) of a 2.5mm metric thread nut  please? The actual size of the rods I believe is actually 2.3mm and I suspect will be variable to 2.4mm. 

I want to solder these to the top & bottom of the rods in due course so they need to be a reasonable sliding fit, though they could be drilled out a small amount, though there is about 170 of them!  

Got it wrong - -  the rods are 2.4, the nuts will be 2.5mm!  Changed the measurements over accordingly

Yours Peter.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Re:inernal size of 3.5mm nuts?

Sounds like a Q for Coyote97 :callme:

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers

Hi Peter,

mmmm....there is a problem: M3,5 is very unusual. and the measurement with down to 3,2 is a bit so-and-so, the 3,4 mm would be very ok for a M3,5.
But as far as i know M3,5 is special and out of normed lists.

For more, a 3,4 mm rod is very thick upscaled, those rods are often in a diameter of 40 or 50 mm (what is for the heavy rods), what will make a 2 or 2,5 mm in scale.

I used welding rods, too. Take a look and try to find some with 2,9 or 3,0mm for an M3, what is very common.

One more:
soldering the nuts makes them quite unremovable...QUITE unremovable. For not too much money u will get "thread-fix", gluetype srew-saving gel.
Advantages: u just need a drop, u can remove the nut later on, and u dont have to fumble arround with a soldering iron near your pvc-bridge!!!

Greetings

Frank

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag

Peter,

have you thought about using bicycle spokes?

bruecke1-11.JPG

peterbunce

29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers

Hi Korm,

Love to but they are not long enough and would be more expensive, I've looked and alas for this they wont work.

Thanks for the thought, Yours Peter.

peterbunce

29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers

coyote97 said:
Hi Peter,

mmmm....there is a problem: M3,5 is very unusual. and the measurement with down to 3,2 is a bit so-and-so, the 3,4 mm would be very ok for a M3,5.
But as far as i know M3,5 is special and out of normed lists.

For more, a 3,4 mm rod is very thick upscaled, those rods are often in a diameter of 40 or 50 mm (what is for the heavy rods), what will make a 2 or 2,5 mm in scale.

I used welding rods, too. Take a look and try to find some with 2,9 or 3,0mm for an M3, what is very common.

One more:
soldering the nuts makes them quite unremovable...QUITE unremovable. For not too much money u will get "thread-fix", gluetype srew-saving gel.
Advantages: u just need a drop, u can remove the nut later on, and u dont have to fumble arround with a soldering iron near your pvc-bridge!!!

Greetings

Frank

Hi Frank,

First I have made a mistake I fear it SHOULD be 2.4 and not 3.5 - double slapped wrists, and a doghouse for a while for me  :)   :-(

Thanks for the input its appreciated, I can get 2.4 instead, which hopefully would give me more rods per packet,  as well.

The horizontal ones would have a washer behind; the vertical ones possibly a piece of my beer can aluminum as a strip?

I can get 2.5 brass nuts, and the thought is that being soldered they will with the rods act as the prototype and hold everything together.

Would the Loctite type stuff survive weather for a long time? I could use that at one end with a soldered join at the other, thus the rods could be removed?

Yours (en route to the doghouse BUT I ain't goin' outside) Peter.

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers

Would the Loctite type stuff survive weather for a long time? I could use that at one end with a soldered join at the other, thus the rods could be removed?

Yes, that stuff stands weather. U have it on many parts of car-automotive, too.

The idea is good: soldering a "long screw" and then just fix one side with loctite....ok!

Frank

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag