Improving gauge glass visibility

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I have a Roundhouse Taliesin loco which has a water top up valve and a gauge glass. This works fine but for the fact that I find it very hard to see the level of the water in the gauge glass in bright sunlight (we have a lot of that downunder). Can anyone suggest a way of improving water level visibility? I thought of painting the glass background white and putting food dye in the water. Any suggestions?

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
On the 1:1 locos I fire in Queensland (lots of sunshine), we put a piece of white cloth behind the sight glasses to aid viewing water level, so painting a white background couldn't hurt.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have a Roundhouse Taliesin loco which has a water top up valve and a gauge glass. This works fine but for the fact that I find it very hard to see the level of the water in the gauge glass in bright sunlight (we have a lot of that downunder). Can anyone suggest a way of improving water level visibility? I thought of painting the glass background white and putting food dye in the water. Any suggestions?

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
This is a regular query in here. As Gap says the white cloth will work but also some felt tip black lines at about 45 degree angle helps as well. This is what can often be seen on the real thing.
IMG_7677.jpeg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Painting the rear of the glass white, and drawing red stripes as above is the usual means of improvement

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Putting food dye in the water IS NOT a good idea. It does not evaporate so gets stronger and stronger, eventually clogging the main steam pipe. Usually sugar-based it does not cope well when heated and is nearly impossible to remove.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
putting food dye in the water
I missed that bit, until I read Moonrakers advice. I second what he says. DO NOT put anything other than the recommended water in your boiler. Using a flushing liquid is fine but it must be totally flushed our afterwards.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the advice. White paint it is and no food dye.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound