Im looking at weathering my trams....

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
Rather than have them all look as if they are just out of the paint shop I'm thinking that at least the roofs should be dirtied up a bit... Thoughts, suggestions?

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
A little light weathering wouldn't go amiss. A tad touch of frame dirt and oil/ grease stains on the roof.
As I understand it, most urban trams would have left the depot clean and polished. As the day progressed they would accumulate a modicum dirt and dust. Rain and wind would also add more dirt. Before returning to the depot the trams could look quite grimey

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Dry Brushing is the easiest technique, you can do a little then build it up. I use Tamiya Colours:-

Xf1 Flat Black
Xf2 Flat White (a surprising one but helps bring out detail)
Xf9 Hull Red (great for rusty effects)
Xf24 Dark Grey
Xf49 Khaki
Xf52 Flat Earth
X29a Thinner
May appear a formidable list but all have their uses.

Not sure if you have tried Dry Brushing before so I will describe how I do it.

I use a pretty largish hard bristle brush (around 10mm). Mix the paint up very well with a Screwdriver the wipe that with a cloth, run the brush iver the residue on the cloth then just a quick flick to get hardy any colour on. Best to test on a piece of scrap till you understand the effect that you wish to achieve. If it is not enough you can always do more, too much and a wipe with some of the Thinner. You can also use some of the thinner that you have been using to clean btprushes to give a sublte wash in places.

Of course any Matt Colours of different brands but similar colours will have the same effect. I just happen to prefer my Tamiya.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Rather than have them all look as if they are just out of the paint shop I'm thinking that at least the roofs should be dirtied up a bit... Thoughts, suggestions?
Mmm, sometimes less is more, so it's just a question of grubbying the roof a little, an perhaps the running gear.

On a couple of occasions, I've used a very dilute wash of acrylic grey - the advantage is that if it's not enough, you can add another coat or two, and then enhance with the odd streak of something.

This yellow wagon has been treated like that :nod::nod:

PICT0004.JPG

This tanker has been treated with Tamiya weathering powders >:) (sorry, can't find a very good shot at the moment)

PICT0009.JPG

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
When it rains leave them out the rain will be filthy:)

Reactions: 1 user

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
I might just start with some dark grunge on the roofs.... Although in the real world it seems to be a greater problem with a pantograph with carbon insert than with a trolley wheel....