If you knew SUSI....

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Fitted a SUSI connection between the Massoth L decoder and the S decoder on my Kof today.

Massoth instructions say you should disconnect the track power when you do this, but I now find that although I have engine sounds there is no increase in revs when the loco moves off. Also I have no horn or whistle functionality.

Should I reconnect the track power?

Thanks for your help....

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Have you set bit 4 of CV 49 to be one to activate the SUSI bus, Gary?

The SUSI bus carries everything the SUSI decoder should need, including speed step information, how hard the loco is working and power, so there should be no need for any other connections to the SUSI sound decoder.

Having said that I've never actually connected a Massoth S to a Massoth L via SUSI, but I have done it with other manufacturers equipment and it works just fine.

Can you program (and read back) the high number CVs in the SUSI module?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I thought this was a model railway forum 8|8|8|

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff George said:
Have you set bit 4 of CV 49 to be one to activate the SUSI bus, Gary?

The SUSI bus carries everything the SUSI decoder should need, including speed step information, how hard the loco is working and power, so there should be no need for any other connections to the SUSI sound decoder.

Having said that I've never actually connected a Massoth S to a Massoth L via SUSI, but I have done it with other manufacturers equipment and it works just fine.

Can you program (and read back) the high number CVs in the SUSI module?
Something I'll have to check Cliff.

I thought it was just a plug in job but I'll check the CV 49 value sometime later this week....

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
hbave you fitted the wheel sensure ? its required to make the suzi to work

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
incorrect mike.

If you connect the S decoder to the LGB bus then a wheel sensor is required. The susi bus provides all the data required.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like I have to program CV49 to 16 from the S decoder manual?

Could someone confirm this please....

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:

Well I've never done it myself but that confirms what is says in the 'Configuration Manual for M,L,XL and XXL.

Remember that this is one bit of an eight bit CV, some of the other bits are used for digilal load control, analogue load control, parallel data transfer and something about a fast pulse string. If you need to set any of these then it won't be 16 you need to write to CV 49.

Probably what you need to do is to read the value that CV49 already has, and then add 16 to that value, and write that value back.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff George said:
Gizzy said:

Probably what you need to do is to read the value that CV49 already has, and then add 16 to that value, and write that value back.

Yeah, that''s exactly what I was wondering Cliff.

Thanks for your input.

I've got to be careful here as CV 49 on the loco decoder is different to the sound decoder. Might have to ask someone with a Massoth 1200Z to change it for me, rather than using my PC and MTS 6.0 software....

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
I've got to be careful here as CV 49 on the loco decoder is different to the sound decoder. Might have to ask someone with a Massoth 1200Z to change it for me, rather than using my PC and MTS 6.0 software....

I'm not with you there as CV numbers for SUSI connected modules must be in the range 897 to 1024. When a SUSI sound module is connected to a driving decoder it just looks like one large decoder, but one that now has sound. A decoder should not forward any CV changes to the sound decoder outside of the range above over a SUSI interface. I know that the Massoth S can work in different modes, which probably explains why it has some CVs in the lower ranges. I think you will be OK just to program CV 49 in the L decoder, if you have any doubts at all then just make sure that the S decoder is physically deconected from the driving decoder before programming CV 49. If your MTS system can program CV 49 then you should be OK, I don't see the need to use a Massoth command station. I can program it with my Lenz system (at Roxwell?) if you need me to.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I'm pretty sure that MTS can access and change CVs up to 99, but no higher ones (only 2 digits on the display!), so it should be able to do CV49 without any trouble.

Jon.

PS: Giz - when I sold you the KoF, I did give you all the CV programming printouts that Muns had sent me with both decoders, didn't I? They should tell you exactly how the L and the S are currently configured.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
I'm pretty sure that MTS can access and change CVs up to 99, but no higher ones (only 2 digits on the display!), so it should be able to do CV49 without any trouble.

Jon.

PS: Giz - when I sold you the KoF, I did give you all the CV programming printouts that Muns had sent me with both decoders, didn't I? They should tell you exactly

how the L and the S are currently configured.
I've got those printouts somewhere Jon, but I can't find them right now!!!

I'll have a look later in the week and see if I can change CV49 using thePC and software....

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Who, or what, is SUSI ? What benefit does it/she have etc?

marshman

Registered
9 Feb 2010
north norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
Used to be a little 3rd pint bottle of orange juice delivered by the milkman & tasted great.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:

Probably best described here, Mike.

http://www.dccwiki.com/SUSI

SUSI seems to have been making a bit of a comeback lately, Massoth started supporting it. It did appear at one time that the advent of combined driving decoders with sound would kill it off (from a cost perspective).

Most of my locos, Mike, have driving decoders that do not have sound natively in them. I extended them to have sound by the use of Dietz SUSI sound decoders. Its quite a reasonable cost, about £50.00 for the driving decoder and about £60.00 for the SUSI sound decoder. The Massoth S can be used as a pure SUSI sound decoder, but it can also be used in other ways which bumps its cost up quite a bit, in my view.

marshman

Registered
9 Feb 2010
north norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think she still lives in Essex, possibly in a large house with a "Devil Gate Drive".

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
I can remember Susi-Q

Ohhhhh those leather trousers...... ;)

Dragging it back to your original question, Mike, SUSI is an interface bus (possibly developed by Dietz, though I'm not 100% sure on that?) for connecting DCC components, especially sound modules to other decoders. When you buy a Massoth S, for example, the cable set includes a very thin four-wire harness with tiny ivory-coloured plugs - most newer Massoth decoders (and some others I assume) have a very small similarly-coloured socket for a SUSI connection (very distinct from the white sockets for the micro-CT plugs that are used for the other connections). I'm not sure of the technicalities of the SUSI bus - I'm sure Cliff can chime in here with the techie bits - but that's the basics of what it's for.

Jon.

Edit: Cliff posted while I was typing, and he's answered the question much better than I could! ;)

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks lads, I think that I have it SUSSIED now..........hat, coat, door...........

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
We know what you were thinking Mike....

b01decb0945b482a9ad4c3505cfdba20.jpg