ICE on tracks

adamski

Registered
14 Jul 2016
kent
Best answers
Country flag
Evening All

Was wondering how every one runs their trains in the snow ? I have run my snow plough round this morning pushed by 2x dash 9 and it cleared the snow of the tracks perfectly and all trains ran fine. But now the temperature has dropped there is ice lumps on the tracks and the trains are not running as the ice is stopping power and signal to the train. I run dcc shame there is no way to run a current through the track heat them up ie de-ice them. Reckon i need a hot air curtain behind the snow plough? In case anyone knows the answer to this slightly of scale but how they do it in real life as I have seen a video of points and they heat the points up when the temperature drops so all the snow and ice melts on them was thinking some form of current through the rail

Look forwards to some answers

adam

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Don't even think about it!

To get enough warmth into the track would take some serious current, and think of all that delicate electronics. - Central Station and decoders..
A big keep-alive will help a little, but you will find most people running in the snow will use a battery (or live steam) loco.

PhilP.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Don't even think about it!

To get enough warmth into the track would take some serious current, and think of all that delicate electronics. - Central Station and decoders..
A big keep-alive will help a little, but you will find most people running in the snow will use a battery (or live steam) loco.

PhilP.
I've never had any luck running live steam on iced track: the wheels spin on the (icy, bobbly) railhead. I have had some success with battery power; but the problem of frozen points afflicts all motive power! I had wondered about using a squirt of car de-icer...

Reactions: 1 user

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Pass me my hot air gun. I'm going out to the workshop, I may be some time...

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If you are serious... use an isolating transformer..

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I've got a "pole sander" that has a pad glued to it that is identical to that on the LGB track cleaning block. The pad is from Massoth and I got it from https://www.allaboutlgb.com/massoth service parts for lgb.html I go around the track with this if the ice is bad. The first train I run pushes a wagon with a LGB 50050 track cleaner around the circuit a couple of times. I add an extra 1 pound diving weight to make it more effective and help keep the wagon on the rails This usually clears any frost. Then, the trains I run have the same track cleaning wagon in the rake just to finish the cleanup and keep the rails clear. Overnight we had a couple of inches of new snow. It was so cold it was the light fluffy stuff. I used a hand held battery operated shop blower to clear the bulk of the snow from the rails.

ABe 4-4 I in the snow - 1.jpeg

Last edited:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The other thing to remember:
Places that get 'proper' snow, it is dry-powder...

Not the wet, 'orrible muck we get! :(

Mark P

Registered
7 Feb 2021
Suffolk
Best answers
A quick removal of the really deep snow with the back of a small rake and then live steam for weight and heat :)

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Usually, I rely on the Sun to melt any ice once the snow is cleared from my turnouts. I use a wooden tongue depressor to clear ice from the points if it is necessary.

Last edited:

adamski

Registered
14 Jul 2016
kent
Best answers
Country flag
Great answer thank you very much, was thinking while looking at all these what you want is a snow plough and then a set of lgb skates that some how are heated so melts the ice bobbles just on the rail head and does not damage the sleepers etc. Nice big resistor from battery pack fitted on wagon to add weight mounted on a metal plate shaped like a skate on each rail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Fresh snow with Live Steam or Battery and sometimes even track power can work just fine. But an overnight snow that has had a dose of Frost in the morning can be a real pain. However these fellows have few issues with Snaa.....

OLD FELLA

Registered
15 Aug 2020
SUFFOLK
Best answers
Country flag
Pass me my hot air gun. I'm going out to the workshop, I may be some time...
Hello there,
Thanks for that super Video! When it first started I thought for a fleeting moment it was an LGB cobble-up! It certainly does the job -- and now we must all get our heads and brains around this. Doubtless someone is already trying similar. I have found with analogue I can run trains in light snow covering -- but as we have found, as soon as temp. drops, ice forms and that's the end of running for the day.

Since transforming my layout into Battery/RC I have found that trains are relatively unaffected, until really strong ice forms, and then again that's the end of that session. Of course Points freezing up have no quick cure -- though the idea of popping out with the Paint Hot-Air Gun is not too bad, though considerable care MUST be taken to avoid electrocution, especially with snow lying around.

Still today I performed a "TRACKEOMETRY" -- using my NHS-ISSUE walking stick and cutting through the snow (and some ice) I have finally after 4-days, managed to get access to the whole layout!

I have looked at many of the German You-Tubes on layouts with very impressive snow clearers -- but think even they are stuck when Ice strikes!!!

Enjoy while the snow is falling, and when it is thawing -- and in the middle -- just enjoy the views!!!

Old Fella

OLD FELLA

Registered
15 Aug 2020
SUFFOLK
Best answers
Country flag
Evening All

Was wondering how every one runs their trains in the snow ? I have run my snow plough round this morning pushed by 2x dash 9 and it cleared the snow of the tracks perfectly and all trains ran fine. But now the temperature has dropped there is ice lumps on the tracks and the trains are not running as the ice is stopping power and signal to the train. I run dcc shame there is no way to run a current through the track heat them up ie de-ice them. Reckon i need a hot air curtain behind the snow plough? In case anyone knows the answer to this slightly of scale but how they do it in real life as I have seen a video of points and they heat the points up when the temperature drops so all the snow and ice melts on them was thinking some form of current through the rail

Look forwards to some answers

adam
Hello Ada

I was reading the Posts and came across the Super You-Tube that Paul posted a couple of posts down from yours. Have a look and enjoy. And as to my reply -- it really backs up what you are saying about ice -- but I really think heating the Rails might be a bit too much!
Enjoy,
Old Fella