I Think I Need An Airbrush..

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Title says it all, really..

I have just bought the current British Railway Modelling, as they are running an 'airbrush offer' with an alleged saving of £50.00. - RRP £136.37, you get it for £85.00.

Having used a conventional spray gun, my first thoughts are that I will spill an 'open cup' model all over the place??
It is also 'only' about 2cc capacity, which is probably fine for a 'OO' model, but not much good for res-praying a 1:24 twenty foot container!
Kit has a 'single action internal mix airbrush', three speed compressor (more speeds sounds useful?), cleaning jar, airbrush cleaner, and twin packs of 2, 3, 6, 10, and 18mm masking tape..

To those with an airbrush:
Is this a reasonable starting kit for our size of project?
Is that teeny cup going to hold enough paint to do anything worth-while?
Are there better offering out there?

Thanks in advance,
PhilP.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Phil, you don't say what make it is. I have a Paasche, which has the open cup AND a small glass bottle adaptor for greater capacity. It wasn't cheap, but is very good. I've never used the open cup. The bottles can be sealed after use to keep the paint for later.

I started out with a real cheapo from Humbrol and very soon out grew it and wore it out.

There are lots of different ones out there, and there are lots of folks on here with a lot more experience of using them than me.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
An internal mix single action airbrush is usually at the cheapest end of the market, although probably fine for large area general coverage (like G-mate says, I started and soon stopped using one at first) a better model is the dual action airbrush as you control both the amount of air being delivered plus the amount of paint, way better for detail painting, weathering and so on. I personally use jar types as I find it easier to mix paint in the jar then keep it with a sealed lid, plus the screw thread of the jars is the same as the Tamiya acrylics I use; I expect if you start out with a cup type then that is what you will get used to.
Why on earth have multiple speeds on a compressor? If it has a half-way decent pressure regulator (usually combined with a moisture trap) then it should run fine at one speed and just cut in when the pressure drops. The more expensive compressors have tanks, the idea being to avoid pressure bursts as the compressor cuts in and out, however mine doesn't and I have never noticed any problem.
This is very similar to the set I bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRBRUSH-...305684?hash=item58abcaa1d4:g:RFoAAOxyQj9RImCd

although I gave the top-feed airbrush to a mate and bought a couple of bottle-feeds instead. I also changed the hose and its fittings to snap-fit rather than screw fit, this makes it easier to change over airbrushes if you are doing multiple colours at once.
Don't forget the paint thinner, nearly all the paints have to be diluted before spraying - once again I use the Tamiya product and it works fine, water doesn't. Don't skimp on the airbrush cleaning, a fluid to spray through after you have finished with the paint.
Incidentally, and SWMBO will back me up on this for once, although it looks like a large outlay at first and you really need to buy most of the kit in one go, the results are well worth it - you will never look at Halfords the same way again - and like all decent, well looked after kit it should last a lifetime.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Dual action top or side cup style for me (Paasche I think but I have more than one and forget the brands of the others) Mostly used with small scale stuff and subtle layout weathering/blending effects etc. I started with jars but decided I like the cup over the jar, it lets me just use a pipette to add a few drops for when I only need to spray a small area, plus I can drop in a bit more thinner or a different shade as desired when doing weathering.

Trainman 864

Registered
24 Sep 2015
Best answers
Country flag

I bought a similar one to that and very good value I think it is - although two things I would say ......

- The compressor is very quiet, but the constant switching on and off with not having the air tank reservoir, can be distracting.

- I've only used mine with acrylic paint - but I was concerned to see in the description in your link, that it's not suitable for solvent based paint. Presumably that means thinners based paint like cellulose - and not oil based paint like enamel - even though white spirit could be termed a solvent?

Oh and one other thing - I think the independant control of paint and air, that is inherent in the dual action feature, makes it so much more desirable than the single action type.

Last edited:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
- The compressor is very quiet, but the constant switching on and off with not having the air tank reservoir, can be distracting.

- I've only used mine with acrylic paint - but I was concerned to see in the description in your link, that it's not suitable for solvent based paint. Presumably that means thinners based paint like cellulose - and not oil based paint like enamel - even though white spirit could be termed a solvent?

Oh and one other thing - I think the independant control of paint and air, that is inherent in the dual action feature, makes it so much more desirable than the single action type.

For the first, I said that I don't find the switching of the compressor to be a problem. Obviously some will be bothered by it and if spraying large surfaces a tank would be preferable, but we are talking models here.

For seconds, I didn't read through the ad and only used it to show something similar to the one I bought. Having said that I did say I use Tamiya acrylics plus their specific thinners, I most definitely did not mention solvent or oil based products. I do have some Humbrol tinlets but only apply them to small areas (even to us) using an old fashioned brush. Having said that I am so pleased with acrylics that the Humbrols could be going to the next 'green' rubbish collection. Please read my postings carefully before replying, ta.

For pudding, or thirds if you're a greedy guts, I agree the dual action airbrush is infinitely superior, cup or jar. In fact I am sure that Mel (who inspired me to buy an airbrush) and myself (who inspired him to buy a decent bit of kit) would shout out the same message.

Mmm, jar, jar go for the jar :nerd:

Last edited:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

Trainman 864

Registered
24 Sep 2015
Best answers
Country flag
For the first, I said that I don't find the switching of the compressor to be a problem. Obviously some will be bothered by it and if spraying large surfaces a tank would be preferable, but we are talking models here.

I was not disputing the fact that you don't find the switching of the compressor a problem. I was merely stating - in the interests of giving the OP a balanced view of the issue - that I do have a problem with it.

For seconds, I didn't read through the ad and only used it to show something similar to the one I bought. Having said that I did say I use Tamiya acrylics plus their specific thinners, I most definitely did not mention solvent or oil based products.

And nobody is saying you did! - again I was merely asking the question for my own edification. (always take note of the question mark :) )

Please read my postings carefully before replying, ta.

Believe me - I read your post with an almost forensic intensity and I might suggest you do likewise for mine.

For pudding, or thirds if you're a greedy guts, I agree the dual action airbrush is infinitely superior, cup or jar. In fact I am sure that Mel (who inspired me to buy an airbrush) and myself (who inspired him to buy a decent bit of kit) would shout out the same message.

I'm not sure what pudding, thirds or greedy guts has to do with anything? - perhaps it's a Dutch thing :) Once more, for the benefit of the OP, I was merely adding my vote for double action over single action.

Alan B

3D printer/maker trains motor bikes BMW
6 Apr 2015
Milang South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Title says it all, really..

I have just bought the current British Railway Modelling, as they are running an 'airbrush offer' with an alleged saving of £50.00. - RRP £136.37, you get it for £85.00.

Having used a conventional spray gun, my first thoughts are that I will spill an 'open cup' model all over the place??
It is also 'only' about 2cc capacity, which is probably fine for a 'OO' model, but not much good for res-praying a 1:24 twenty foot container!
Kit has a 'single action internal mix airbrush', three speed compressor (more speeds sounds useful?), cleaning jar, airbrush cleaner, and twin packs of 2, 3, 6, 10, and 18mm masking tape..

To those with an airbrush:
Is this a reasonable starting kit for our size of project?
Is that teeny cup going to hold enough paint to do anything worth-while?
Are there better offering out there?

Thanks in advance,
PhilP.
Hi Phil

Try this on evilbay I have 2 so i dont have to switch needles for fine stuff
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dual-Act...977696?hash=item2c9297b860:g:7C8AAOSwD0lUgWtq
this would be less than 20 pounds for you
Alan

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
watching you.jpg Just to let you know - we are keeping an eye on this thread! :oops:

Last edited:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Alan,
Thanks for the link.. The evilBay listing says "may not post to the UK", plus if they are available that cheaply 'down there' they ought to be available cheaply 'up here' as well! - I am also led to believe postage from Australia is a little eye-watering?

Now, as to some other posters on here.. I only asked! Please paly nicely!! :(;)

So they more I know, the less I know.. :rolleyes:;)
I dare not ask if brand A acrylic is better than brand B! - I thought acrylic, was errr acrylic? Thought you diluted it with water? End-of.
Now it seems there are differing bases, differing thinners, and probably many will not play nicely with each other??

Final question:
Some have mentioned keeping paint in the small pot you can attach to an airbrush.. Is this just a short-term thing, whilst building / painting a project, or can you keep that 'custom colour' you mixed for a few years until you need to do a repair?

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Pass about the years bit, I never tried that long, but certainly a good long while.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have 2 single action bottle feed types myself, one from a Auto parts store (Supercheap in Aust) and the other is made by Badger but a cup one is on the wish list.
My compressor is a tank type with regulator and water trap again from Supercheap (approx. $90 Aust) this eliminates any pulsing issues that may occur with non tank types.

I took some advice from the plastic modelers group at work and their suggestion was for dual action open cup but then again they are doing only small areas but some 1:32 models can be big. For large areas their suggestion was "rattle cans".

Digressing a bit I use pressure cans that I buy in $2 shops, the colours I use mostly is Grey Primer, Matt, Satin and Gloss black, an Indian Red a Mission Brown and Silver.

I did use my airbrush to paint a small loco using cheap acrylic artist paints diluted with Methylated Spirits/ Denatured Alcohol (another suggestion from the plastic modelers).
The other suggestion for a thinner was Lacquer Thinner from a hardware store evidently it flashes off quickly.
According to a car spray painter friend control of droplet size and fast flash off of delivery medium gives a better result but I'm thinking that is a science in itself.

The other suggestion was for cleaning and the recommendation was for an ultra sonic cleaner (similar to jewelry cleaner) using the fluid that the paint is diluted with, again on the wish list.

As to the final question from experience only store for the length of the job I had to dig out dried paint from a bottle that I used to store some paint for 6 months and the thinner evaporated off.

My suggestion buy the cheap one, use it to learn on then go for the more expensive ones as experience and a requirement for a better quality one develops.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I bought two air brushes, a cup type and a jar type, plus a compressor, about 3 1/2 years ago. I have not even taken the shrink rap plastic off, let alone opened the boxes, still using brushes with hairs attached.

David

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I bought two air brushes, a cup type and a jar type, plus a compressor, about 3 1/2 years ago. I have not even taken the shrink rap plastic off, let alone opened the boxes, still using brushes with hairs attached.

David

I'm challenged in the hair department, and most my brushes seem to be following suit!
;):rofl::rofl::rofl:

Gap:
Probably a good idea..
It looks like I can get the 'offered' kit (minus tape) for £75 or a similar model to the Australian offering for £17.00
All from evilBay.

If I can find the right colour (not to expensive) I might go 'rattle-can' for my current project.. That is IF I can find the donor vehicle!

"ex freight cars : from 1957 99-02-19 ( 1950 : 10427 ) ex NWE 347 Gw manufacturer Görlitz 1909 Lüp 7500 wheelbase 3200 10.5t"
If anyone knows of a suitable base-vehicle??

D

Deleted member 1986

If I can find the right colour (not to expensive) I might go 'rattle-can' for my current project.. 3200 10.5t"

How friendly are you with the chap who mixes the paint shades are your local Halfords? The fella at our local one is a star, he has mixed various shades for us over the years, having the Pantone Number helps, but he has managed to mix various shades and colours from minimal information, sometimes just by sight alone!

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Is it just me, who associates his ears (and accent?) with dreadlocks and Jamaica?? :giggle::giggle:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
No Phil, it's not just you, and that raised an awful row in certain quarters when the film came out..... and that was BEFORE we had the "virtual mobs with virtual pitchforks" that infest the Tw*ttersphere and other anti-social media.....

Jon.