And a pile of coal.

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
Occasionally someone on feebay has ABS plastic chips/bits for sale.
I did buy a pack a while ago - forget the guy's name - but didn't use much.

Lately I've been using Andel coal wagon loads, cut down to fit the bunker or whatever.
These are cast in resin from masters made from charcoal, and look pretty good.

Probably the worst thing is to use real coal - lots of dust, and somehow doesn't look right.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Mez said:
Brainteaser!
G Scale Coal.
What can i use?
Loose coal.
And a pile of coal.
Coal and a big Hammer!! no I'm not joking the best small scale coal IS coal it breaks into small pieces easily, just put a lump of coal in an old towl or sack if you have one and beat it until crumbled, and you have good scale coal. If it needs gluing use carpenters white glue which dry's clear don't use the yellow stuff as it goes milky sometimes in the rain.....................

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
I use Anthisete, which is small coal mainly used by the 5 inch gauge live steamers. Scrounged some off me dad. Put in plastic bag and hit it with a hammer to G scale size. Looks good I locos
332581ffac4048c39a6cfb57a1b66956.jpg

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
Mez said:
Brainteaser!
G Scale Coal.
What can i use?
Loose coal.
And a pile of coal.

I agree with Miniman, I didn't like the plastic coal on my cheapee Bachmann Annie, so broke up some house coal (crunched it with my genuine Mole Grips!) and glued with with general purpose PVA adhesive (from any builder's merchants) diluted around 40% with water.... hey presto!

2426909041b2440a87793396c31abe82.jpg

Best of luck
Rob

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Cheers
Top answers again.
Thanks for info and pics.
Will try and find a coal dealer now and take a brush and pan as well .

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Real coal works well in all scales, just need to bash it a bit more for the smaller ones:

c9e69a1e33a14cc89bfdef42ebd1ff6a.jpg

OO loco

jetomlin

Scratch building Bridges and Buildings.</br>Steame
24 Oct 2009
West End, Southampton
Best answers
Barbeque charcoal will also look right!

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
i volunteer at the North Norfolk Railway, and ive just asked a driver for a lump of coal out the tender or bunker, got home put it in a towel smash it with a hammer and use that

Remind me not to use the towel if I come to your house ;) I just put it in plastic bag.

Yes I "borrowed" one stray piece of coal from the SVR for my OO locos a loong long time ago. The preserved railways should get a volunteer to pick up all the little bits around the coaling area, grade it, bag it and sell it in the shop as different scale real coal. Maybe some already do. I would be happy to pay say £5.00 for a back of real coal already broken to scale.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Doug said:
Real coal works well in all scales, just need to bash it a bit more for the smaller ones:
You'll be up all night if it's 'Z'....:rofl:

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
On a hillside in Morley, overlooking Leeds!
Best answers
pugwash said:
Doug said:
You'll be up all night if it's 'Z'....:rofl:
No, if it's Z, the coal will be crushed in no time! :D

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I just knew when I posted it, he's going to be in here like a flash, and whaddya know? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I'm going to tape over the Z key on my keyboards, that should do it :D

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
Coal works in all scales because it is fractile, i.e. what ever the size it,s characteristics remainb constant. Before you go chasing aroud for a big lump of coal and a hammer have a look around and see if there are any local 5" or so guage live steamer clubs. We have one close by and I get all my stuff fron the bucket that they chuck their slack in.

I agree with the others, coal looks best.

5.jpg

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
On a hillside in Morley, overlooking Leeds!
Best answers
pugwash said:
I just knew when I posted it, he's going to be in here like a flash, and whaddya know? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
8| but you will need a lot of tape ;)

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
More coal info.
Love the pics.
I will post some pics when i get started.
Cheeeers

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Woderwick said:
Coal works in all scales because it is fractile, i.e. what ever the size it,s characteristics remainb constant. Before you go chasing aroud for a big lump of coal and a hammer have a look around and see if there are any local 5" or so guage live steamer clubs. We have one close by and I get all my stuff fron the bucket that they chuck their slack in.

I agree with the others, coal looks best.

5.jpg

Mum, Mum, Wod swore Mum, he said Fractile....................................What ever that means..........................

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Zman said:
pugwash said:
8| but you will need a lot of tape ;)

Oh don't you worry buddy, I can get it on the company, and that means I get the VAT back! :happy::happy::happy:

fb500537234743df8de8b3514afc5b09.jpg

Going to stick my neck out here without Gooogle or wikigodknowswhat and suggest that it means it's chrystasalline structure means it will be (and look) the same from great big lumps down to tiny '-' gauge bits (don't forget I taped over the Z key). Oh damn. :D
Now there are half a dozen decent-looking women at the bar, what in Gods name am I doing here?

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
A fractal is "a rough or fragmented geometric shape that can be split into parts, each of which is (at least approximately) a reduced-size copy of the whole.

Because they appear similar at all levels of magnification, fractals are often considered to be infinitely complex (in informal terms). Natural objects that are approximated by fractals to a degree include clouds, mountain ranges, lightning bolts, coastlines, snow flakes, various vegetables (cauliflower and broccoli), and coal.

so there.