i have a new loco

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Nice. I see smoke...is it live steam? Or is it electric with a smoker?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh, the early Rogers, yes, and Aristo made them indeed. Was thrown off by the markers.

I think that one has the clamshell (vertically split) motor block.

I forgot to add it to my site, I have the manual also if you need it.

Greg

NorthwestGarrattGuy

Some young foamer from seattle
1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
kaedmonkeirbrannan.wixsite.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh, the early Rogers, yes, and Aristo made them indeed. Was thrown off by the markers.

I think that one has the clamshell (vertically split) motor block.

I forgot to add it to my site, I have the manual also if you need it.

Greg
i hope that clamshell motorblock doesn't turn out to be an issue i haven't been able to test the loco since we don't have a space to put any track right now

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hello NorthwestGarrattGuy,

I own a couple of those. They pull really well and I have seen new ones that are well broke in pull more than 10 passenger cars! I was really amazed out how strong the motors are. I recently custom painted the same engine for the man that I am trying to help with the install of his first G layout.TeaBerry Farm 2-4-2.jpg

He owns the Teaberry Farm wedding venue. He asked me to paint a tender to match the locomotive. (The locomotive previously looked like your locomotive.) The tender was originally from an Aristo-Craft RC Cola set. AJ the Teacher

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
Hello NorthwestGarrattGuy,

I own a couple of those. They pull really well and I have seen new ones that are well broke in pull more than 10 passenger cars! I was really amazed out how strong the motors are. I recently custom painted the same engine for the man that I am trying to help with the install of his first G layout.View attachment 299825

He owns the Teaberry Farm wedding venue. He asked me to paint a tender to match the locomotive. (The locomotive previously looked like your locomotive.) The tender was originally from an Aristo-Craft RC Cola set. AJ the Teacher
hmmm i only have one passenger car right now but its very close in scale to it (all my other stuff is 1:29 scale) but maybe ill have 3 next year

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
i hope that clamshell motorblock doesn't turn out to be an issue i haven't been able to test the loco since we don't have a space to put any track right now
You should just about get the wheels to turn with a 9v battery so long as it is not DCC fitted.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have mine running on 14.4v NMh - runs a treat, pulls fairly well with a bit of added weight.

It's meant to be 1:29 but, as George Schreyer pointed out, it seems large for that scale and sits quite comfortably alongside my 1:20.3 stock

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
I have mine running on 14.4v NMh - runs a treat, pulls fairly well with a bit of added weight.

It's meant to be 1:29 but, as George Schreyer pointed out, it seems large for that scale and sits quite comfortably alongside my 1:20.3 stock
How did you fit the batteries in was it just in the tender also I have 1:20.3 newqida cars that would nice behind it any all my other stuff is either 1:24 or 1:29

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
How did you fit the batteries in was it just in the tender also I have 1:20.3 newqida cars that would nice behind it any all my other stuff is either 1:24 or 1:29
Yes, I installed the batteries in the tender - there's not a lot of spare room in the loco - but I put the ESC/receiver in the cab so that I only had to arrange for one pair of wires between tender and loco.

The downside of this arrangement is that the lamp on the tender is permanently on (or off) but I went for simplicity in only having to have a connector for two wires :)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
well i finally got a chance to test run and she is so quiet but not super smooth and not great at slow speeds but at higher speeds she runs wonderfly
Clean the wheels - don't forget the front and rear pony trucks are the main current collectors :) so also, clean the back faces of the pony truck wheels where the contacts rub. A minuscule drop of some (incorrrectly labelled) conductive oil on the pick-up plungers may help ;)

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
well, the power pickup is from carbon brushes on the BACK of each driving wheel. Test each wheel individually for power pickup. Most likely only a few work well.

Yes the driver material is poor and gets dirty easily, that can be verified by visual inspection.

Greg

NorthwestGarrattGuy

1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
Best answers
Country flag
Clean the wheels - don't forget the front and rear pony trucks are the main current collectors :) so also, clean the back faces of the pony truck wheels where the contacts rub. A minuscule drop of some (incorrrectly labelled) conductive oil on the pick-up plungers may help ;)
ah that might be ok good thing but i won't need to clean once i convert to battery power

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
ah that might be ok good thing but i won't need to clean once i convert to battery power
Not quite true. Your wheels will still pick up crud, so the loco might not run as smoothly as it should

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
With track power, you remove oxidation (tarnish) from the rails to improve conductivity.

All the stuff you have described, dog, dirt, water, etc. will impact running no matter what you use. Battery operated trains will still move but dirt, twigs, leaves will derail ANY loco.

I clean my track with a swiffer, and a car with a rotating brush.

Greg