muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Well after finding out that Chris at Locoremote was creating a model of the "Gerald York", one of the 2 Brush locomotives that has been running up and down Hythe Pier for 100 years, I had to have one, so duly ordered the kit from him. He delivered it to me around 10 days ago when we met at the Pier. Unfortunately its SM32 so it wont run on my 45mm track and Chris is not going to create a 7/8ths version of this loco.

Image from Chris (lifted from hs website):
hpr_gy.jpg

So now I have a loco (all be it not built yet), I need some carriages just like the real thing. The HPR usually runs 3 carriages and a flat truck and their stock consists of 2 x Passenger Coaches, 2 x Driving Coaches, 1 x Flatbed truck and 1x Fuel Bowser.

Due to neglect of previous operators, things are in need of restoration and with the creation of the Hythe Pier Heritige Association and the help from Hythe Shed (at the Pier) restoration of the train is taking place.

cropped-61039706_2532160626796544_2363709447190085632_o-1.jpg
(Image HPHA)

At this point in time, the "Gerald York" tractor(loco) and and one of the Passenger Coaches have been restored. The other Passenger Coach is near completion and should be ready for the "Rock the Train 2022" celebrations on July 23rd.

Now what is the use of a model locomotive/tractor without any rolling stock.... so I plan to build all of the stock they use. Hopefully this thread will document my progress.

Reactions: 1 user

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
So, luckily I have access to the physical train (I did a stint working for the Ferry company years ago), so I have been out with my tape measure, notepad and phone, looking at the current referb operations.

After some scurrying away this past week (between work and other stuff), I have begun to create a full size representation of the carriage in FreeCad, obviously with thought on how I will be printing and assembling it....

Here is a rendering of the carriage body (less roof) and chassis....

1656067046034.png

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have travelled on that railway >:)

I have also walked and got there quicker >:)>:)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I love the Hythe Pier Railway, such a great survivor. When I lived in Hemel I devoted a day to travel on it going to Southampton by train, walk to the pier at Southampton then got the ferry across Southampton Water to Hythe Pier. Doing the same trip in reverse to get home. Well worth the effort and must do it again sometime.

Trouble with modelling a pier railway is the amount of work to build the pier when you have done your trains. According to the net the length of the pier is 2100 feet, at 1:24 ish that comes out at roughly 87 Feet. Lot of work!

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I visited in 2018

Fascinating little line.

Rik
PS - I must get around to editing and uploading the video.... :wasntme:

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
A little update, here is a rendering of the bogies used on the carriages.

1657202785194.png

and a pic of the original:
20220614_131912 (Small).jpg