DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I forgot the Rockhampton system where they used their Purrey steam trams minus bodies to help with the building of their line.

Attachments

• Purrey_Rockhampton-029.jpg
    Purrey_Rockhampton-029.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Many of the UK tram systems had very short lives, as buses took over quite quickly.
Oh Southend trams were long gone (April 1942) before my visits circa 1950’s. But I still do not know a date for the Gas Works Rail link closure. Likely converted to trucks at some time but I see no reason why it did not last past the Tram system closure, except for perhaps difficulties of electric power for the short run across the road from the pier. Though it is also possible that Southend Corporation may have wanted the Gas Works link closed at the same time as the Trams to enable double decker bus working past the link. Oh in other news, another town with aspirations to re-introduce Trams is Southend, but I doubt it will include freight working even though this would be possible using Tram cars to deliver small wheeled pallets for shops given the right thinking, planning and environmental decisions.

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
What did we do before the www, this is an ideal example of a tram system being fully utilised.

Going off at a complete tangent, folk moan about tram systems limiting parking for business deliveries, a slightly different application, but in Prague at one time they had road rubber tired type trailers to carry workers tools, why not have a road trailer hitched to a tram that could be un-hitched outside a business to make deliveries :kissing:

The CarGoTram commenced operation in 2001, transporting car parts 4km to Volkswagen’s “Transparent Factory” located in central Dresden, from a road served logistics centre. Each bidirectional trams is made up of five units, with services operating along the same tracks used by passenger services.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Going off at a complete tangent, folk moan about tram systems limiting parking for business deliveries, a slightly different application, but in Prague at one time they had road rubber tired type trailers to carry workers tools, why not have a road trailer hitched to a tram that could be un-hitched outside a business to make deliveries :kissing:

but I doubt it will include freight working even though this would be possible using Tram cars to deliver small wheeled pallets for shops given the right thinking, planning and environmental decisions.
Now come on both of you, you both know full well that sort of practical thinking is banned in any council meetings