Hsb 'traditional Train' Coaches From Trainline 45

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Yep - would be interested to see some piccys of them. there seem to be loads of small manufactures and kits available in the German market. The T3 railcar for example.
http://www.bahnbilder.de/1024/hsb-187-025-diesel--604184.jpg
hsb-187-025-diesel--604184.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yes I will do a review. In short - beautiful but fragile.
LGB dont do these coaches Phil!
Modell-land are offering them individually at 249 euro - They came as four separate boxes, no big wrapper for the four. So I expect finding them individually wont be hard. The middle two in my photo are by far the more intersting

Alan, any more thoughts on the Traditionszug coach set now that you've had it a few weeks? You mentioned "fragile", anything that has broken or fallen off in use yet? I'm interested to know how you find them now you've had a chance to run them for a while, because I'm seriously considering ordering a set from the same supplier that I've got my LGB 30320 SOEG brown baggage car on order from - they are a little cheaper than Modell-land AND they take Paypal without any surcharges.... they also tell me that they've been promised that the 6101 Pfiffi locos will be out in about two weeks, but I'll believe that when I see it.... ;)

Jon.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A quick report on the HSB Heritage coaches from Trainline45.
DSCF0490 (Small).JPG

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I purchased these from Modell-land. I paid by bank transfer which LLoyds charged me £9.50 for the privilege. Still the cheapest method. Paypal attracts a supplementary fee of 5%

The tracking from GLS was excellant - it even covered the UK leg which was by Parcel Farce - who behaved themselves.

So a big box arrived.

Unpacking the coaches, I have to say I was disappointed at their weight. Not the weight of an LGB coach (which is all I have to compare it with). The loose buffer and set of steps did not help either. However, they were reassembled in a moment. The steps are made from 4 parts. 2 hanging brackets and 2 step boards. They all push together with a little 'snap'.
DSCF0474 (Small).JPG
A little annoying but the steps are not flush with the side of the coach - they stick out a bit so I imagine they would be difficult to mould in situ. I will get some thin super glue and add a tiny drop to all the joints. I'll use thin glue because it will wick into all the gaps.

(the curve in the end rails of the coach are only caused by the camera angle)

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So, having got over that small disappointment, lets have a good look at the coaches. They appear to be pretty accurate replicas and the moulding details and printing really is first rate. Closer inspection of my photos from our Harz trip in 2014 confirm this. The detail in the doors, drop plate, brake handles etc. is excellent. The coupling hooks need fitting and 2 are supplied (for both ends). Once fitted the packaging will need adjusting to clear them but a removable block of foam is easily removed to make the gap for the coach longer.
DSCF0478 (Small).JPG

Also, the brake handles need fitting and the corner roof support rails on the older two coaches.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So out on to the rails. With the Trainline45 Harz Mallet for company.
They look great.

A derailment needed further investigation. A screw was missing from one of the bogie side arms! Easily fixed but WHY?

DSCF0486 (Small).JPG DSCF0488 (Small).JPG

Last edited:

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
It is nice to see the realistic height difference between the different types of coaches - some thing LGB tended to loose with their rubber ruler.
The rear coach is making a squeaking noise. On close inspection the flanges are rubbing on the under-frame and that's on a 10ft diameter curve.
You can see the grey rubbing area here - red arrows

DSCF0501 (Small).JPG

The cross member is not actually fixed to anything and is just wedged between the main side beams in tiny indentations. They easily flicked out. Problem solved but it really should not have been a problem in the first place.
Also - the lack of chassis detail is evident in this picture.

Last edited:

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Having corrected these fairly minor, but annoying points, they run and look great.
They definitely pass my smile test.
Having seen and ridden in the originals they were immediately on my wish list and a little bit of good fortune provided the funds to get them.
DSCF0507 (Small).JPG

In short, I think these coaches are like other makes of more detailed (and probably smaller batch size) gear. Detailed but a bit fragile. Even so, at this price the wheels should clear the chassis.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
All in all - I am very happy but it is a shame that the initial impression was marred by minor faults.
DSCF0497 (Small).JPG

Metal wheels and loo compartments too. The metal wheels are metal rims with plastic inners so still quite lightweight.
A little glue on the steps has certainly helped.

Last edited:

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Reactions: 1 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Alan, a very comprehensive review, all very useful......

Are you going to get the second set too? I see that coaches 5, 6, 7 and 8 are now being listed in some places! :devil:

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Just one question arising from your review - you mentioned that the TL45 coaches are not as heavy as typical LGB ones - given the fact that the LGB Saxon historic coach set cars seem to be built like brick ****houses, and are VERY heavy, do you think that the relative lightness of the TL45 ones is a problem or a bonus? I think that some locos might struggle with anything more than 3 or 4 of the heavy LGB coaches, especially on anything but dead-level track, but the same loco might be able to manage 7 or 8 TL45 ones...... or are they so light that derailments are more likely?

Jon.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Lets put it this way - I am tempted to add weight. As for pulling, they dont seem to roll as easily as my LGB ones. They just seem a little stiff.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Rather nice set Alan, however for me no good as I am DR era and they are all HSB. So must live without them. Unless of course they do some DR versions preferably in Maroon and Creme. Hmm start saving Dunny.
JonD

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
The set of coaches that arrived via Stockers has just made its first appearance on the EG&SNNR today:

HSB-HeritageCoaches=01.jpg

Agree with all that Stockers has said in his review above. Be interesting to see how long we have to wait for coaches 5.6.7 and 8.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Magic Keith.

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
On a recent trip to the Harz I visited the Trainline45 shop, to say it was a little disappointing would be putting it mildly, there was one chap at the back of a poorly stocked shop assembling various coaches

Still the Harz was good though:h:

P1000070.JPG

Last edited:

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
And I saw the original of my 2-10-2

99 222P1000125.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Oh where is the TL45 Shop please?
JonD

penylanpip

Registered
1 Apr 2010
Barry, UK
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Is that 5906 in front of those nice coaches, Keith?
(The loco with full inside framing, as opposed to the LGB & TL45 examples.)