HSB goes indoors

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, I’ve had to make the buildings removable for transport. Just hope it runs OK all weekend.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, I’ve had to make the buildings removable for transport. Just hope it runs OK all weekend.
With LGB locomotives, suitable controller and clean track you will have no problems unlike many of the smaller ‘mice’ scales. When exhibiting my 0 gauge line I had much better running than other 0 gauge lines, that was mainly due to having compensated locomotives that had guaranteed 4 or 6 wheels picking up power from code 100 rail at all times. The wagons and coaches were also compensated giving smooth non wobbly transit across the layout despite deliberate dodgy track to replicate a Col Stephens poorly maintained railway. Track cleaning was scrupulously carried out both before each day of the show and at any time where slight indications if possible dirty track were noticed. Exhibitions can be a trial for running due to the dust from people, heat and general atmospheric conditions. It is a wonder that N and smaller run at all in those conditions, I guess it is a signal of the quality of modern models these days.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
A very enjoyable day 1 at the Chapel exhibition, met several other G scalers. Layout ran fine, but another day tomorrow.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Delighted to say the layout ran perfectly on Sunday too. A very tight squeeze fitting it back in the van (which I slept in Friday and Saturday nights - just 2 degrees inside when I woke up). It seemed to be well recieved and was fun to run, so I might consider taking it to another exhibition if asked.

IMG_2610.jpeg

PS at each baseboard joint I have lift out section of track secured with Hillman? Rail clamps. The special screwdriver used to tighten/remove them is well worn and needs replacing - any ideas for where I might get one?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Delighted to say the layout ran perfectly on Sunday too. A very tight squeeze fitting it back in the van (which I slept in Friday and Saturday nights - just 2 degrees inside when I woke up). It seemed to be well recieved and was fun to run, so I might consider taking it to another exhibition if asked.

View attachment 324161

PS at each baseboard joint I have lift out section of track secured with Hillman? Rail clamps. The special screwdriver used to tighten/remove them is well worn and needs replacing - any ideas for where I might get one?
You talking about the alun key or mini ratchet screwdriver?

View attachment 324161

You talking about the alun key or mini ratchet screwdriver? Search Amazon ‘mini ratchet screwdriver’ plenty of them from a fiver to less than 20.

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag

These ball-ended ** hex head screwdrivers are readily available online. It's just a matter of knowing what to search for. I have a mixture of Hillman and Split-Jaw clamps (most of my track is Tenmille, so I have to take whatever make I can find, when I find them). The Hillman ones use a 3/32" hex, while the Split-Jaw ones take a 7/64" hex. I got those sizes off my hex screwdrivers (after a lot of squinting). Since you aren't absolutely sure that your clamps are Hillman ones, isn't the size still visible on your existing one?

** depending on what is next to your track joints, you might get away with a standard hex driver. The ball-ended ones allow you to tighten/undo the clamps with the driver at an upward angle.

Cheers

David

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 324161

I brought both imperial and metric Allen key wrenches, both ball ended and straight, as I have a mix of clamps too.

I think I found mine on Evilbuy....

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
I brought both imperial and metric Allen key wrenches, both ball ended and straight, as I have a mix of clamps too.

I think I found mine on Evilbuy....

Thanks, it is the ball ended Allen key, I'll look for one online.

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Managed to find a ball ended Allen key on the internet. Bought it from a proper tool supplier, high quality srainlrss steel fir under £5.