HSB 905 xxx Gaurds van

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Afternoon All,
Having spent most of the last few weeks on "light duties" and having got fed up at looking at my LGB HSB 905 van, well out came the LGB rubber ruler correcting equipment, the hack saw!.
DSC_0001.JPG
It's 1'6 to long, wheel base 2' to long and 9'' to tall ( scale feet that is) so first job is to dismantle and work out how to shrink it down.

DSC_0002.JPG

Running the measure over the body, the extra 1'6'' was in the bi folding doors, so basicly cutting the top and bottom door rails fixed this also at the same time removing the body floor.
DSC_0003.JPG
the paper below shows the cut lines for the chassis. the floor was shortened and refitted in the body 5mm higher in order to lower the body, this makes the bi folding doors unusable, something else to think about!
DSC_0004.JPG
with the body now the right length, the chassis was chopped up and the axle boxes turned 180 degrees to give the correct wheel base of 10' and the reduced gap filled with off cuts and angled plasticard
DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

also the existing pivot points were removed from the floor to re glue later once I was sure it was as I wanted it. The couplings were extended to correct for the new wheel base. I also put 2 screws to form a self centring for the independent axles as some times the wheels do not correct after a curve.

DSC_0008.JPG

New non folding doors were mocked up out of card before making new out of plasticard.
DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG
These were then painted and sanded/ T-cut to make them looked used and battered as per the photos I have of the early 90's
DSC_0013.JPG

new steps were made from some plastic angle from a local DIY store
DSC_0014.JPG
and fitted
DSC_0015.JPG

And with some more hand rails the job finished
DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

Reactions: 6 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Which original are you basing the rebuild on. There are several of these on the HSB and all seem to be a different.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Slight thread drift - I see the Revell Contacta cement tube. Do you find that's satisfactory for use on LGB plastic?

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic mod... Great job

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Which original are you basing the rebuild on. There are several of these on the HSB and all seem to be a different.
The original does appear to look a little ‘dumpier’ than the LGB Offering. According to my Schweers and Wall Book ‘Die Fahrzeuge Der Harper Schmalspurbahnen’ that Pete also appears to be using, there were 9 of these 905-150 to 158 as at 1.2.1993. The Drawing in the book shows 905-152 whereas the LGB Model that Pete has Modified is 905-155. LGB have also done 905-151 (42523) and 905-154 (42520) so plenty to go for for the Harz Modeller. 4 are shown as ‘Parked since 2000 / seit 2000 abgestellt’ in the book whatever that truly means, possibly ‘Dumped out of use’. Thus of the 9 originals, 5 were remaining at that time.

Measurements can be a bit tricky depending on what Ruber Ruler Pete has used, it may useful to know that the length over buffers is 7500 mm (312.5 at 1:24). Sadly I tend to use Metric in all of my Calculations (in spite of B) as it is easier (for me) to convert a scale using this and the Drawing Scale which appears to be around 1:87 in the book. Pity that the Bi-folds could not be modified as it would have given a better colour match though Halfords Rattle Can Audi Laser Red or BMW Imola Red 11 will give a good Red or more Maroon Colour depending on choice. There is an interesting picture of 3 of them together in the SnW Book on the next page to the Drawing with the only difference that I can see is that the Middle of the 3 has see through Window at the Non-Veranda end whereas the other 2 have White or White Inside to that Window. As Stockers notes it would not surprise me if changes have been made to the 3 remaining Gepäckwagen during overhauls probably at differing Works during their life. Saluer la différence.

Nice and interesting conversion.

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Alan,
Well, there's a thing! the one I have photos of from 1994 I can't make out the number !! it could be an even number 156 or 158 might have another look as it's a slide.

As Jon says I was going for the "Dumpy" look, it's better but not quite right to my eye,
905 157 now has it's body removed and is now a cycle carrier

Schweers and Wall Book ‘Die Fahrzeuge Der Harper Schmalspurbahnen’ the plans are 1;87 HO scale and I bought a HO scale ruler for use with the book and made a 1;24 scale rule out of cardboard for use on the models and this ties in with Jons measurements.

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Slight thread drift - I see the Revell Contacta cement tube. Do you find that's satisfactory for use on LGB plastic?
Yes Mike, it seams to work well, just need to "rough" up the LGB plastic to form a key on the suface I also use Evo stick or Araldite depending on how much stick it will get.