Howdy

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Concrete.... I had one eat my house to get into my attic. I plugged with wood. They are that many times. Moth balls....could care less. I have aluminium mesh screening now. I put out a plastic Trussell ho bridge like 15 years ago. It only lasted a few days so will never do that again. Here is my new home made track cleaner. I tested it out this morning. Good enough for now and will not have it on all the time. ....shhh. I think I hear a squirrel trying to eat my house again...

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Hey

Attachments

• 20220302_092752.jpg
    20220302_092752.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220302_082136_HDR.jpg
    20220302_082136_HDR.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220302_095909(1).jpg
    20220302_095909(1).jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220302_095929.jpg
    20220302_095929.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 0

Steve Manners

Registered
2 Nov 2019
Hull
Best answers
Country flag
Is anything squirrel proof!!
I think if you want "reasonably squirrel proof" concrete or resin or kiln fired clay is the way to go. Foamex (is it called Sintra in the USA? ) is reasonably weather proof and light (easy to put away). you can paint it with weather resistant paint of your choice and add marine varnish if you want. You may want to construct it so its easy to add weight with rocks, bricks etc. You may want to fill or close it off so critters can't nest in it. The main advantage of Foamex is its versatility. You can score bricks and planks into it, cut it with a craft knife, paint it, or get your designs commercially printed onto it, or print yourself onto paper, card or adhesive vinyl film. This means you have complete creative control over what you produce.
I don't know what would happen to home or commercially printed Foamex if you left it in strong sunlight for long periods. Distortion or colours fading? My layouts are usually built outdoors in fine weather but displayed indoors. A few years ago I built a WW1 display model for a Safari lodge in Kenya where my friend has created a WW1 museum about the fighting in the Tsavo West area.. The Foamex baseboards started to distort due to the intense sunlight in one of the hottest summers we have experienced so I rigged up and awning. the display is located in a cool shaded part of the lodge.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Computer says it is a light weight PVC. Do you weight it down to prevent it from blowing it away?

Steve Manners

Registered
2 Nov 2019
Hull
Best answers
Country flag
Computer says it is a light weight PVC. Do you weight it down to prevent it from blowing it away?
I display indoors so it's not an issue for me but if you are using it outside you would need to weight it down. On one of my other recent posts I have outlined most of the issues regarding using it outdoors, ink fading, critters etc.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Yes big difference inside or outside on the garden. I want to set up 83 plus feet in my basement from some time in November to April. Rest of time in my evergreens/flowering plants garden.

Steve Manners

Registered
2 Nov 2019
Hull
Best answers
Country flag
Yes big difference inside or outside on the garden. I want to set up 83 plus feet in my basement from some time in November to April. Rest of time in my evergreens/flowering plants garden.
Foamex buildings might suit you then. Winter in the basement then out into the garden for summer. Just make them to an outdoor standard with weighting, critter proofing and some varnish finish for extra protection from rain and strong sunlight. Maybe place them in the shade if possible.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Foamex buildings might suit you then. Winter in the basement then out into the garden for summer. Just make them to an outdoor standard with weighting, critter proofing and some varnish finish for extra protection from rain and strong sunlight. Maybe place them in the shade if possible.
Yes if I do indeed go that route. Many years ago I had a buddy that I have known since 4 come over for a visit with his hot gf. Well I was showing him around the house and came to a spare bedroom. Before I opened the door I said being a hospital tough guy I really need a training room. I opened the door and they saw my first ho train lay out spread across the floor. He then said what are those boxed scattered all over. I told him they were buildings. In a deep thought he said...ohhhh....They were small boxes spray painted grey with lines depicting the many floors. So just goes to show you that if you use your imagination you can use just about anything for scenery on a model railway. As per wildlife that will be an issue. I have lots of squirrels... Plus a puppy that rather than run.. likes to hop like a rabbit.... higher than my waste.

Attachments

• 20211229_112323.jpg
    20211229_112323.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 0