How to switch a point...?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
But the disadvantage I believe is that a train approaching against the points can no longer push through but must either stop or derail when it hits the point.

How I remember the latter with my mid-1950s Hornby OO layout!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
But the disadvantage I believe is that a train approaching against the points can no longer push through but must either stop or derail when it hits the point.

How I remember the latter with my mid-1950s Hornby OO layout!
Yes, that's the point :giggle:

I'm not actually a lover of pushing through against the blade direction - it works with LGB flanges, but doesn't work so well with some finer flanges :shake::shake::shake:

Anyway, forget the point lever, can you give us some more details on the tram Henri?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I seem to remember that the travel on the Peco one was a bit marginal for the chunkier makes of track - Like LGB, Piko, Aristo etc.
Can anyone expand on this.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I seem to remember that the travel on the Peco one was a bit marginal for the chunkier makes of track - Like LGB, Piko, Aristo etc.
Can anyone expand on this.
Yes, the Peco lever does not have enough travel for Aristo / LGB / USAT point blades - don't ask me how I know :tmi::tmi::tmi:

The point throw that I have on my USAT point was made by a US firm, but uses a Tenmille operating lever, which has an adjuster screw. The only bit that the US firm made was the sleeper extension / connection pieces, so the actual lever went from Eastern UK, to USA to have the sleeper bits fitted, and then came back to me (in Sussex at the time) :D:D:D

http://www.tenmille.com/16mmNGPointAccessories.html

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The Peco ones are not only chunky, only have enough travel for Peco G Points and are somewhat weak in the vital area's.

10mm ones are pretty robust but we found their throw inadequate for Peco G so will be pretty useless for LGB.

It would be possible with a little bit of Ally Angle Strip and some old Flat Bottom Rail to make some nice looking Levers, there may also be manufacturers in Germany that supply what Henri is looking for. Perhaps an enquiry to Grootspur may help.
JonD

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
IF Bertram Hayn (sp?) is going to be at Llanfair..
It may well be worth looking what he has got on his stand??

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
IF Bertram Hayn (sp?) is going to be at Llanfair..
It may well be worth looking what he has got on his stand??

It's Heyn, Phil, and he's definitely going to be there - he's (hopefully!) bringing quite a decent-sized pre-order for me - including two circles of his Radius-0 track, one with regular sleepers and one with the random Feldbahn style sleepers....

Jon.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've been looking for some like that too. I believe they're called Ground Throws in the USA.

None of the ones I've seen are 'chunky' enough to represent the ones I used to see on the Slough Trading Estate Railway as a kid, which is what I'd like to replicate.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I've been looking for some like that too. I believe they're called Ground Throws in the USA.

None of the ones I've seen are 'chunky' enough to represent the ones I used to see on the Slough Trading Estate Railway as a kid, which is what I'd like to replicate.
Sadly, there's no railway there now :shake::shake::shake:

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Visited the Slough Estates Railway well before Steam Finished, did a short Movie that is still waiting to be digitised. Now I must scan some of the Pics I took to see if any of the Point Levers appear and to see just how big they really were.
JonD

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Visited the Slough Estates Railway well before Steam Finished, did a short Movie that is still waiting to be digitised. Now I must scan some of the Pics I took to see if any of the Point Levers appear and to see just how big they really were.
JonD
I recall some scattered ones around the system, but there were a bunch around the old Station. The ones near the engine shed were quite spindly.