How to make pickup wheels

Simon Potter

Srpott40
14 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
http://www.alwayshobbies.com/materials/metal/section/metric-solid-brass-rod

I think it was 1.5mm (certainly no smaller) - although mine were not in 1 metre lengths because of postage problems - and you could use 2mm I suppose, The half-hard is easier to bend - haven't tried the hard because I suspect, apart from difficulties in bending tight curves it might fracture.
Another point, to help lessen friction (which is like applying brakes!), I located the pick-up ends nearer the wheel centres.

My efforts were not concerned with lighting but rather improving pick-up properties on my locos where they had suffered from loss of wheel plating!
Don't suppose you have thought about using paper clips for the wire? Just wondering if that would be a good solution as the wire in them is certainly bendy!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Don't suppose you have thought about using paper clips for the wire? Just wondering if that would be a good solution as the wire in them is certainly bendy!

I think that what you need is SPRINGINESS, not bendiness.... you don't want a wire that will bend easily and stay bent, because that won't keep good contact - you want it nice and springy so that the spring pressure maintains a good contact on the wheel-backs.

Jon.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

As Jon says, it needs to stay in contact. Another problem would be that paperclips are steel with micro plating. No doubt they can be soldered using Bakers Flux - because it is far better to solder the connecting wires on.

Virtually all the wheelsets you might use are cast metal (like Mazak - monkey metal) although the Accucraft ones appear to be turned metal - never thought of testing for which metal - but the wheel profile and diameter does not suit all railways.

Even with the half hard brass they sometimes need adjustment - not too much of a problem for me as there are eight contact points ensuring continuity!

As said, the best pick-ups are the ball bearing wheelsets! But a pair of wheelsets buys me a Bachmann or Aristo freight car or even a carriage!

I'll do a simple drawing showing the basic bent up shape. Bear with me!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
If you are grouping coaches
Consider....
Springing for lgb electrical ball bearing wheels, one set, not cheap, and the running a tether between cars. I tend to make the most often used car, like a baggage van, the power car. In days of old, with the starter coaches, i used the 3019 post car. The BB wheels are pricey, but, offer a lot less drag, especially on longer trains and grades and curves.

As mentioned above, Tethering and wire connectors, like the old marklin /lgb style plugs, or the new, are not convenient, but they work, and save a lot of cost. The loco with an outlet is cheapest. If you group, the loco can uncouple, run around etc.

While i understand saving money, the lgb metal wheels, even non ball bearing, with double plungers, are reliable and last years. Yes, they can flicker a bit. I mention the obvious because they are not fiddly, and that seems to be a consideration for you. Having rigged pick up on n scale and...z, and, a single lgb item, its difficult to do well. Harder with low drag.

Btw, There are also electrical plans for cars that use track pick up, and rechargeable AAs which keep the lights on when track voltage drops.

I imagine one could install track shoes, like those on locos. Havent thought that one out, and i imagine they would be rather obvious visually. Things that slide on the track have great pick up, and, drawbacks too.
Best of luck.

Last edited:

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I've mentioned this before on other threads: when I fitted extra pickups to the trailing wheels of my little Chloe and Olomana locos I used what I call "roller-bullets", the sprung roller pickups used by Bachmann on the Davenport and other locos such as the Rail Truck.

These were the ones extracted from a Davenport, which needed to be separated for use on the LGB locos as described here
https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/extra-pickups-for-lgb-chloe.130453/

b5417ef753a94bd0a185a6ec831cb8bd.jpg

Later on I got hold of a bunch of spare roller-bullets from Bachmann spares during one of their spare part sales.
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_138&products_id=5205

823XX-OOKO3.JPG

John Steer

Registered
23 Nov 2016
Warminster
Best answers
And whilst your at it, why not add a red Led (flashing type) to the end of train coach.
My 10 car rake of RhB 3063 coaches have a ball-raced pick up bogie at each end with interlinking to each coach with prewired mini plugs & each roof has a strip of Leds (yellow) glued into the roof underside and is connected to the wiring under the chassis via a mini Plug & socket hidden in the toilet compartment, this also makes each roof interchangeable. Each coach is also removable so that the rake can be adjusted to suit the seasons requirements.
Another plus is when you park up at a station with the loco on an isolation section,
all the coaches remain lit whilst your small people alight.
Hold on a moment, I'll just pop down to Norridge Central with my camera, where a short train is awaiting it's duty loco.
You all still there, goody, here are a few pic, they may help.
Enjoy.
DSC00013.JPG DSC00021.JPG DSC00019.JPG DSC00017.JPG DSC00016.JPG DSC00014.JPG DSC00013.JPG John.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Wow! those Piko wheelsets are expensive!

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Wow! those Piko wheelsets are expensive!
Try....
LGB 67403 Ball Bearing Wheel Set Metal, 2 Pieces at Dragon G Scale....£24.99.
Kev

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Try....
LGB 67403 Ball Bearing Wheel Set Metal, 2 Pieces at Dragon G Scale....£24.99.
Kev

Out of stock unfortunately! But thanks for posting. I couldn't believe the Piko proces though!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Out of stock unfortunately! But thanks for posting. I couldn't believe the Piko proces though!
If you email Jeremy he will still be able to get the stock I believe....I just ordered a load of metal wheels from him and they were also listed as out of stock.
Kev