How many transformers?

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Good afternoon. I am changing to DCC from analogue. I am awaiting a new MTS111 station and handheld controller. I already have an LGB 50110 transformer which can be used with it. The very basic question is, being AC can it also be used in some way to power my points which are wired up or do I need to buy another? I know the transformer can provide a DC supply if run through one of the Linesman's huts as thet is how I set my points at the moment.
Sorry for this being basic but I'm not sure.
Thanks,
Trevor

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Do you plan to operate your points using DCC or just using the standard EPL system? If they're already wired up you might as well just retain your existing point controls and power them from a separate transformer. There's no benefit in drawing power from the DCC system power transformer if you don't need to.

If you were to change your points over to DCC operation using accessory decoders, then typically those decoders draw their power and control signals from the nearby track (though it could be argued it's better to power them from a separate accessory bus).

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Nick.
I suppose it's a swings and roundabouts situation. If I'm going DCC, I might as well go with a couple of decoders. I only have eight points at the moment, so it's not a big deal to changeover, (or switch).
Thanks again,
Trevor

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
If I did want to run the points through analogue, what DC power supply could I use. I presume it wouldn't need to be a controller. Again it's basic but I have to ask.
Trevor

perpetualnewbie

Registered
30 Apr 2019
United Kingdom
Best answers
Hang on - your transformer is an AC transformer? Be very careful, most digital kit expects DC and may not work - or may even fail - if fed AC. Maybe your new controller is different but this is definitely the moment to read the controller manual very carefully before connecting.

Are you expecting to convert your points to DCC control too, or keep an existing switch setup? (sorry if I've missed something).

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
If I did want to run the points through analogue, what DC power supply could I use. I presume it wouldn't need to be a controller. Again it's basic but I have to ask.
Trevor

What are you actually using to switch your point motors? My understanding is you feed the LGB switch boxes with AC, and these do the required rectification to feed reversible DC to the point motors. Are you doing it another way (eg. cross-wired DPDT biased switches fed wih DC ?)

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Hi. Apologies, I'm mixing up my AC from my DC.
To answer the question At the moment, using analogue, I have an LGB 50110 five amp AC transformer connected up to a Linesman's hut which supplies DC to the track and also AC for the points. I should have been asking about what separate AC power unit I could use just for the point operation if I wanted to stay with analogue while I use DCC for controlling engines.
It was the fact that an AC transformer could provide DC through the hut that momentarily scrambled my brain.
I didn't particularly want to buy another 5 amp transformer just to control eight points, but that might be cheaper than two turnout decoders.
Sorry about the slip.
Trevor

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Trevor,

You can use just about any train transformer with an AC output to operate your points. The current requirement is not very high as you will be operating only one or at most two EPL point motors at a time. It's good job for a starter set transformer if you have one, until you decide to move on to DCC turnout decoders. The only potential concern is weather protection for the transformer.

Phil S.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil. Yes, I have a small starter transformer/controller that I Had forgotten about.
Good, and thanks again.
Trevor

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Phil, I meant to add that the line runs at waist level right behind the house so all transformers will be inside the house with the wiring running through the wall.
TrevorIMG_20190505_191103.jpg

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Are we not over complicating this, if your points are already working you don't need to alter them just split the ac supply, one to the points control system you are already using and one to the MTS3 system. The LGB 50110 is already 5 amps and more than man enough to power both its not like the points are always demanding power its only a quick blip every now and then.

A

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Leave the points 'as-is'..
IF you decide you want to change points remotely, later-on:
Then add a couple of (4-channel) point decoders to the mix.

Agree, your present transformer will be man enough for the job.

Aside:
Have been running DPDT switched points for 5+ years, with a pair of PP3's in series.. - This is inside, but points are operated for such a short-time, the batteries will (in effect) last beyond their stated 'shelf-life'.

PhilP.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that Wandgrudd (?).
That was my first idea as it seemed the simplest. I put it on the forum because I wanted to check out whether the AC to D.C. thing would work with the transformer powering the MTSIII
Trevor

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil
That sorts that I think. Always better to ask, I think.
Trevor

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I've been using these point motors for years :emo: :emo: 254559

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
And very effective too! I use the same complex system for the points within reach of where the control panel is located. It's just that it would be a 70' walk every time I wanted to change a point that connects to a circular run within a point to point layout.
Trevor

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, but a lot of points would be a handful.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, but a lot of points would be a handful.

I should probably apologise for this in advance...

Surprisingly, a Google Image Search for the term returned remarkably little of any interest..... :speechless:

Jon.