How is track diameter calculated

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I need to exactly measure the area I'm working in so I can put in a border but I do know where track diameter is measured from
Usually you measure the radius, from the center of the circle. The diameter across the circle

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Usually you measure the radius, from the center of the circle. The diameter across the circle
To the centre of the track, not either rail.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Those answers just about round it up.

Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
To the centre of the track, not either rail.
I've just realised I read the initial question incorrectly, sorry, blame my friends for being generous with the old vino!
Yes you measure from the centre of you proposed curve, to the centre of the track

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
LGB is given as to the centre line.. As others have said, some manufacturers dimensions are to the outer rail.

Remember, you need to allow clearance beyond these figures for clearance of stock. - Both outside of the curve, and inside to allow for long-stock cutting-in.
IMG_20220204_171755.jpg

PhilP

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB website (https://www.lgb.com/fileadmin/media/lgb/produkte/produktinformationen/LGB_Gleissystem-Info.pdf) gives both centre-to-centre and outer-edge-to-outer-edge figures . . .

View attachment 305338

Of course, the OP is in the USA so may be using a different brand of track.

Cheers

David

Tranli track uses a different R classification which makes more sense than LGB so be careful of that otherwise it will drive you around the bend. :D
Aristocraft track designated lengths are in feet but actually in 300mm amounts like LGB which is slightly different so be careful of that too. :nerd:

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Two things to add:

1. Phil P is right on, in fact my Aristo RDC cars have the worst overhang of all my rolling stock... plan wisely.
  2. Also Paradise is right on, "R" numbers are all over the place, especially here in the USA.

Check the link to charts of "R" numbers vs actual measurements. Beware! Best to work in actual measurements.

Greg

NorthwestGarrattGuy

Some young foamer from seattle
1 Oct 2021
Seattle, Washington
kaedmonkeirbrannan.wixsite.com
Best answers
Country flag
crap i forgot about this thread but i have an update im looking on making my own turnouts from aluminum bar stock to save money for when i do the extension next year some im trying to figure out what the dimensions for all the rail bits of a 3 foot radius turnout

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
all this was helpful however i have been looking into turnouts as i have said
Now you're opening up the can of worms!
First, get your head around the different 'concepts' of turnouts, and their terminologies. The simple LGB type is a circular curve type (rare in real life) where the curved road is curved, constantly, all the way through. Good for practical modelling, because (in the case of LGB) you can replace a curved section of track with the curved road of a turnout. 'Real' turnouts are mostly straight through the frog section, and described by the angle, but beware, there are different ways of naming the frog size. A #9 turnout, is not the same as a 1 in 9 turnout... all to do with the formulae used. I won't give a full mathmatical explaination, but one method uses a tan(1/x) measure, the other 2(tan(½/x).... don't ask.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
all this was helpful however i have been looking into turnouts as i have said
Print these out and use as a template they are for R5.
I use flex track rail and make sleepers/ties from ripped up treated pine boards.

Attachments

• GR left turnout.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • GR right turnout.pdf
    116.4 KB · Views: 0

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
crap i forgot about this thread but i have an update im looking on making my own turnouts from aluminum bar stock to save money for when i do the extension next year some im trying to figure out what the dimensions for all the rail bits of a 3 foot radius turnout
You need Igor, of this forum. He's made all sorts of points out of Aluminium bar.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You need Igor, of this forum. He's made all sorts of points out of Aluminium bar.
Indeed @Igor is your man, but he is building track to massive radius/angle/degree for massive locomotives.