How do you start a steamer on rollers?

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
Many of you 'test' your steamies by running them on rollers.
Steamies don't always self-start from cold, so they need a push to get going.

How do you push a loco on rollers?

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Westcott said:

When running my steamies on blocks, i hold a bit of cloth in myhand and use that to turn the wheels. Saves cuts when they suddenly spin!

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
I agree with Doug - though if you use the reverser to go forward and reverse in turn, it will help it to clear the condensate.
The cloth, or a leather glove, is also useful for applying a little resistance to the wheel or roller to make it work.
Cheers
Chris

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Westcott said:

You don't say what loco, but if you only half fill the boiler you won't get much in the way of priming and it should self start. I never push mine in any circs. If you have a problem with priming them just put it in forward gear first, then reverse, then forward again and the priming will eventually go..

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Opps, yes, forgot to add - use the reverser to go forwards/reverse until the wheels start to turn.

hobbyfossi201

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi all!

I never push the loco under any circumstances. Just open the Steam valve slightly, shifting the reverser to one direction, closing the steam valve, reverser to the opposite. In combination with not too much water in the boiler this should be enough.

Even the double acting oscillating cylinders from Regner´s Lumberjack make no problems when priming is done that way.

Having now a Roundhouse Millie with slip eccentric valve gear I do it the same way but I don´t turn the wheels directly for reversing. I just put the loco on track and give it a half turn in the opposite direction and then it comes back on the blocks.

Hope this helps.

regards

Klaus