Hobbyking steam motor

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone tried making one of these -and if so, does it provide useful power? I fancy a challenge, so may try a cobbled together steam loco. Pistons and cylinders seem a good place to start -if used, it will be connected through a geared drive

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone tried making one of these -and if so, does it provide useful power? I fancy a challenge, so may try a cobbled together steam loco. Pistons and cylinders seem a good place to start -if used, it will be connected through a geared drive
Never tried one but I can see possibilities for it in a Geared Steam Tram, Shay, Climax, Heisler, PriceD or some suchlike form of motive power, not geared and I imagine the speed would be pretty well uncontrollable. Not sure if it has a reverse function, though as a startup loco to get your teeth into building live steam that may not matter too much. Very manageable price though.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
No product specifications.. No ratings or reviews.. No discussions on the item.. Reduced to clear? :wondering:

Does that tell you something?

Just cylinders, crank, and flywheel.. You need a boiler etc. for a start..

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
No product specifications.. No ratings or reviews.. No discussions on the item.. Reduced to clear? :wondering:

Does that tell you something?

Just cylinders, crank, and flywheel.. You need a boiler etc. for a start..
The 4mm bore cylinders make me think this might be a novelty, but there are two of them! I'm thinking steam tram or De Winton -and the interest of the project for its own sake. I'm not too concerned by a boiler at the moment.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The 4mm bore cylinders make me think this might be a novelty, but there are two of them! I'm thinking steam tram or De Winton -and the interest of the project for its own sake. I'm not too concerned by a boiler at the moment.
Have a look at the Mamod site, they do boilers that may well be more than adequate for this. Quite reasonable price too though you would need an external fire and a way of feeding it plus keeping it concentrated on the boiler.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Here you go....

This one as in the link below, I used the original Boiler, (and at a later stage constructed a DIY boiler) and Cylinders to construct a SM32 Delrin geared Beast, was on show and in use way back in time at Brighton Model World.

If the boiler and cylinder unit ever come up for sale, well worth the investment of notes with the Queen's head on them!

This is well worth a read...

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Here you go....

This one as in the link below, I used the original Boiler, (and at a later stage constructed a DIY boiler) and Cylinders to construct a SM32 Delrin geared Beast, was on show and in use way back in time at Brighton Model World.

If the boiler and cylinder unit ever come up for sale, well worth the investment of notes with the Queen's head on them!

This is well worth a read...
That looks interesting: a ready to go boiler for £12 more than the HK steam motor. Not sure what the safety valve arrangement is on the tin can boiler (and therefore what the operating pressure is), but it might be worth it just to get started. But Dunnyrail's suggestion of a Mamod boiler is a good shout: I've got an SL 1 with a leaky safety valve on the bench...

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I'm in the thought process of converting a 'hobby' stationary steam engine with boiler and a single oscillating cylinder to a small logging tram that runs along the track. I suspect they rely on the flywheel to be running fairly fast for the valve to operate without stalling. A large ratio gear train will be needed which can have much resistance in the early stages unless very low friction and light in weight. Not much available in metal for that as parts. Lightweight delrin sprockets and chains may work but then you have a heat problem on the main drive shaft possibly effecting the delrin plastic. Regner Vincent chains are available but not at all inexpensive and will only solve a part of the gear train issue. Several huge, toothed flat gears resembling those of a clock like used on a Wilesco steam roller or driving the outside of the roller wheel with a stretchy spring like on a Mamod steam roller may not be possible or desirable for a live steam railway/tramway locomotive. These steam engines work better for boats which have high velocity at the propeller in the slippery water.
I might be all wrong here therefore anticipate any info regarding such small low pressure cylinders with simple valve arrangements and getting torque to the wheels. :nerd:

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
These steam engines work better for boats which have high velocity at the propeller in the slippery water.

A propellor-driven 'novelty-item', perhaps?? - Think Swift Sixteen..

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Microcosm make a large variety of steam items, including a V-4 marine engine, a turbine, an electric feedwater pump. and a steam throttle governor, amongst other goodies (if my memory doesn't fail me again.)
microcosm-engine.com

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Microcosm make a large variety of steam items, including a V-4 marine engine, a turbine, an electric feedwater pump. and a steam throttle governor, amongst other goodies (if my memory doesn't fail me again.)
microcosm-engine.com
I think it is the 'hobby' element which Paradise mentions that is the biggest disadvantage: I can see that it might work for a boat, but be disticntly underwhelming on land. I initially thought it was a kit, so the build was an attraction, but it looks like a completed object. I will continue to think it over...

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
for a boat, but be disticntly underwhelming on land.
I'm not sure I understand the difference between a boat and a 'land' vehicle. They both need steam and a little power.
The size might be an issue as they are quite small. Most of the motors seem to be oscillators - even the proposed V4. But they don't look a lot worse than Mamod or Regner engines.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure I understand the difference between a boat and a 'land' vehicle. They both need steam and a little power.
The size might be an issue as they are quite small. Most of the motors seem to be oscillators - even the proposed V4. But they don't look a lot worse than Mamod or Regner engines.

On a boat you could have a simple extension of the shaft to the propeller. On a land vehicle, you would require a large ratio reduction drivetrain which would need to have very little weight and friction.
The motor is aligned the right way for perhaps a worm on the shaft to drive a few more reduction gears to the axle. Something like that might work. A small electric motor/gearboxes with the electric motor removed could be possible. It would then be similar to a prototype geared loco/tram with a marine engine then. Like a class A climax etc. I'm sure a working solution won't be very fast along the track.

MotorGearbox_00.jpg

Last edited:

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
On a boat you could have a simple extension of the shaft to the propeller. On a land vehicle, you would require a large ratio reduction drivetrain which would need to have very little weight and friction.
I hate to seem dense (and unfortunately I know nothing about stream boats, although I do own 2 or 3 regular gas/diesel versions.) Oscillators spin very fast and need lots of reduction gears to deliver any torque, as far as I know/observe on my Brunel/RWM/Chaloner/Otto.
Why does a boat not need the same? I can see you could adjust the propeller pitch so it spins very quickly on a direct drive shaft. But surely it has the same issues as a loco - high speed and not much torque.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
A typical boat prop spins much faster than a wheel on a railed vehicle. A reduced prop size and pitch can be the equivalent to a large reduction in ratio on wheeled vehicle.