Hi from Michigan

BPACH

Registered
20 Aug 2020
Best answers
I am getting back in to railroading after a long hiatus. I have done N and HO, and decided to try an outdoor layout. I need to learn about DCC and other methods of train control, I never used it on my old layouts. Any recommendations on good sources of info on the electronics side would be much appreciated. Thanks for letting me play.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Hi there.
Welcome to the world of g-scale, where you are most welcome to play!

If you have not used DCC it is not required for g-scale layouts, some people find battery and radio control more suitable for the outdoors. The size of g-scale models give you plenty of room for electronics and batteries which you don't have in N gauge. I like DCC but my layout is indoors now. Just a thought.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Or you can stick with good ole analogue DC control.

It's worth delving into the options, there's pluses and minuses everywhere :):)

On the other hand, if you've decided that DCC is the direction that you want to go, there'll be plenty of help and advice on this forum :nod::nod:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Brian. Control depends very much on what you intend to do. Is Operation your thing with Timetables, Wagon Cards and Waybills? If so then RC of one sort or a other would be your thing. Cetrainly if you are nit afraid if pulling things apart and competent with a soldering iron then Battery DCC could be your thing. Commonly called Dead Rail or OnBoard Power Supply in US you have quite a few ootions as a look into Garden Railways if you can find a copy will show you. Sadly the fall 2020 is the last one. Have a good look at some of the DCC and Battery threads on here and you may find some small amount of inspiration by the Vid and Build if my current line linked below. Good luck with your journey into another but rewarding world.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Brian. There's lots of information on here about train control and all the help you'll need. Don't forget that everyone has their way of doing things, and everyway is a good way, you just need to grab the advice and use how you think best

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum Brian..

Don't jump too soon!
Perhaps a starter set (analogue, things can change later...) and perhaps a little more track, to add a little interest??

There is no reason you are not going to be able to run analogue outdoors, if you wish. - If that is what you know, then start there.
Don't be too ambitious from the get-go.. Start small (possibly an oval, that disappears behind a bush or two?) But do get 'something' down, and do have fun! :)

PhilP.

Reactions: 1 user

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Brian,
Dan Pierce in Eastern Mass is an expert on this stuff (I am not.) He regularly posts on the USA forums at Largescalecentral.com

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
If I may recommend some reading:

note the links on the bottom of the page, quite a number of things here.

You also might want to read about track choice for DCC outdoors:

There are about 750 pages on trains available

Reactions: 1 user

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Hi Brian and welcome aboard.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Brian and welcome. I'll second what Phil P. said in post #6. Also Greg's site has a wealth of info.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
When installing a garden/outdoor railroad there are some choices to make about raised up form the ground, or on the ground. If on the ground, I use a trench lined with weed block (keeps ballast from mixing with the dirt), filled with ballast (Mine was 1/4 inch gravel mixed with stone dust). THen is track power either DC or DCC, Battery, or live steam. Lots of decisions here and I strongly suggest you find a club and join in meets to see what others have done. I started with ground operation and DC power. I still have the ground RR, but added DCC and I can switch between both methods.
So in summary, try to determine what you want to run and how to do it.

BPACH

Registered
20 Aug 2020
Best answers
If I may recommend some reading:

note the links on the bottom of the page, quite a number of things here.

You also might want to read about track choice for DCC outdoors:

There are about 750 pages on trains available
Thank you, that is the best source of information I have found yet.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Brian, hi, and welcome to the forum, seems you have had a lot of good advice so far :)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, it's a bit like buying your first computer - if you knew then what you do now :devil::devil:

But the best advice is to think it through - I know what I'm like, so I built my railroad to deal with my impatience and laziness :cool::cool: