Hi all Bopper (Colin) from Parkes in the middle of NSW Australia. Home of the Dish.

Bopper

Registered
9 Apr 2021
Parkes 2870 NSW
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
This is the first time I have been able to sit down and enter the forum. I have about 50 meters of track in three different runs. I find maintenance of the buildings, people and track my biggest problem. Temperatures in my are range from 30 to 45c in summer and usually dry. Looking forward to talking in the forums.

Reactions: 1 users

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Good morning Colin and welcome to the forum. There is much to enjoy here, even some of the jokes and plenty of help if it is needed. Not too many of us experience the temperatures that you are used to though.
Do send photos as these are very welcome.
Trevor

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi and welcome, I am sure if you have some specific questions on maintenance, somebody will provide advice, somebody will ask for photos (we love photos) and eventually somebody will insert some humour, but some of it is dire ;)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Colin, just a thought I assume you mean track cleaning by maintenance of track? If so a battery powered lico or two is a big help to give that instant fix of running. Figures can be kept in place with a bit of wire drilled into a leg and placed in a suitable hole drilled into the base of your line or just the earth. Finally plastic buildings keep together better with an internal line of silicone sealant at the joints. Hope at least one of these suggestions helps a bit.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Colin!

I guess UV will be a big problem for your buildings?
Not relying on the self-colour of the plastics, and over-painting, will give you some extra protection..

What sort of temperature range can you get, over a day? - Obviously, large day to night differences, will put stress on glued joints, so you may have to strengthen/reinforce joints on the inside.

PhilP

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Bopper. Where abouts in NSW are you? You should get Al the help you need on here, are you close to any other garden railway folks? I know there's a few Australians on here, so you may be close to some of them

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Colin,

You will find lots of answers here or somebody will be able to help you, they are are a great bunch with lots of information available.

Reactions: 1 user

Bopper

Registered
9 Apr 2021
Parkes 2870 NSW
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Colin, just a thought I assume you mean track cleaning by maintenance of track? If so a battery powered lico or two is a big help to give that instant fix of running. Figures can be kept in place with a bit of wire drilled into a leg and placed in a suitable hole drilled into the base of your line or just the earth. Finally plastic buildings keep together better with an internal line of silicone sealant at the joints. Hope at least one of these suggestions helps a bit.
Hi some years back we had a heat wave of 40 to 45c for about 10 days. I had some american flex track and the sun made the plastic ties brittle and when I moved the track they just fell appart. I am replacing them with aussie made plastic ties. The builldings I now use the silicone and replace the light plastic in the windows with perspex which is about 1/8" thick which also makes the buildings more stable.

Reactions: 1 user

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The builldings I now use the silicone and replace the light plastic in the windows with perspex which is about 1/8" thick which also makes the buildings more stable.
So, how many horses do you keep in your stable buildings.

David

Bopper

Registered
9 Apr 2021
Parkes 2870 NSW
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Colin!

I guess UV will be a big problem for your buildings?
Not relying on the self-colour of the plastics, and over-painting, will give you some extra protection..

What sort of temperature range can you get, over a day? - Obviously, large day to night differences, will put stress on glued joints, so you may have to strengthen/reinforce joints on the inside.

PhilP
This summer the temps have been good 30 to 35c with good rain but a hot summer temps to 40c but when you sit out in the sun up to 50c. At the end of summer I try to clean and do repairs to each building will send some pictures later on. Bopper

Bopper

Registered
9 Apr 2021
Parkes 2870 NSW
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Bopper. Where abouts in NSW are you? You should get Al the help you need on here, are you close to any other garden railway folks? I know there's a few Australians on here, so you may be close to some of them
We are in Parkes 350 kilometers west of Sydney and home of the Dish (Radio Telescope). Not many G scale close by but some good G scale shops around Sydney area. Bopper

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the madness..
Differnt climate have differnt problems and solutions....thats part of the fun, figuring it out..what works for me won't work for you..ie ..Lancashire is not quite as hot,and a bit more damp I think ..any how, look forward to seeing your railway and solutions

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Colin.