Here's a good one, actual energy density NiMih vs Lithium by volume

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
OK, while answering another post, I gave the "common wisdom" of more energy in a smaller space for lithium battereis.

but then I started researching the differences between Nickel Metal Hydride (low self discharge types) and Lithium Ion (the standard metal cylindrical cells like 16450) which are Lithium Ion Phosphate.

I know the lithium ion cells are lighter, but I wanted the comparison by physical VOLUME.

So far, all I found was the Wikipedia page:

So I was surprised to find that the two, according to this page, were basically the SAME in terms of energy per volume.

Look carefully, the column is titled: "Energy Density by Volume"

Also be careful to look at the same batteries:
"low discharge nickel metal hydride" 353 Watt-hours per liter
and
"lithium cobalt oxide" 560 Watt-hours per liter.

(this is one of the typical chemistries for "lithium ion")

so approximately 1.5 times the energy in the same space.

I thought it would be interesting to actually look this up by VOLUME, since in the end, it is watt-hours that gives you run time... thus removing the different voltages from the equation.

I was guessing the ratio was higher, but here it is in black and white.

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Very interesting..
I tend to use Lithium batteries, where size/space is the issue :
3.7V per cell, equates to three NiMH cells..

This quite often means that I can use a smaller number, of physically larger cells.
Normally, the ampere-hour ratings, are pretty similar.

People often quote the amount of current that a cell can supply. This is normally in relation to the capacity of the cell. Lithium batteries can supply an enormous amount of current, but by careful choice, LSD NiMH can also supply surprising amounts of current.

PhilP

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, agreed, was just focusing on how much energy you get per volume, 1.5 times is the answer. With PWM powering most motors, there are no significant differences between voltages to the motor, although motors themselves are nonlinear, but that is another discussion. (rpm vs voltage)

Greg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
The way things are going with batteries and there strengths, soon we won't be building houses with traditional mains wiring, everything will be battery powered and all we'll need is a big charging system

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The way things are going with batteries and there strengths, soon we won't be building houses with traditional mains wiring, everything will be battery powered and all we'll need is a big charging system
A USB socket on the solar panel :)

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I have a friend who has lived the past 4 years full time on a 70ft canal "broad" boat. Her boat is noted in that community as being unique in being entirely electrically powered. And all from the solar panels mounted on the roof. OK, the owner uses a wood burner for the heating but all other power use, motors included, is from the onboard batteries. It does not need connection to a canal side power service point, even in the short winter days. Max

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I have a friend who has lived the past 4 years full time on a 70ft canal "broad" boat. Her boat is noted in that community as being unique in being entirely electrically powered. And all from the solar panels mounted on the roof. OK, the owner uses a wood burner for the heating but all other power use, motors included, is from the onboard batteries. It does not need connection to a canal side power service point, even in the short winter days. Max
That's good going, No1 Child lives on a smaller boat that she plugs in on a marina, but she needs to be careful on cruise mode, and she has a diesel engine. Using the inverter without the engine running kills the batteries within hours.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
That's good going, No1 Child lives on a smaller boat that she plugs in on a marina, but she needs to be careful on cruise mode, and she has a diesel engine. Using the inverter without the engine running kills the batteries within hours.

Interesting, future has got to be that but till someone gets to grips with feed-in tariffs being better and not giving future prices away to China innovation will be suppressed in U.K. both with battery and solar generation for the household. I wonder if Max‘s friend has a Wind Generator as well, you do and have for many years now seen them in Canal boats.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting, future has got to be that but till someone gets to grips with feed-in tariffs being better and not giving future prices away to China innovation will be suppressed in U.K. both with battery and solar generation for the household. I wonder if Max‘s friend has a Wind Generator as well, you do and have for many years now seen them in Canal boats.
My wife tells me that we need neither a wind generator nor a hot air heating system as much of the time I provide both! I’m hoping she’s joking …