Here I Go……

Kev Green

Registered
17 Feb 2023
North Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Well finally got my very first G Scale outdoor set up done, well mostly done bit of tidying up around the edges. Just a badic oval with siding so far so miniscu in terms of most people but hey have to start somewhere

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Well done. Pictures please! :)

Kev Green

Registered
17 Feb 2023
North Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Engines have been put away for the evening

Hofabooz

Registered
22 Dec 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Kev

Great start it will soon change and evolve as you explore the hobby

Regards

Mark

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
A good basic start is an oval and a siding as you've found. Another siding (or sidings) and you'd be surprised how much fun you can have.

Reactions: 1 user

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag

brokenwing

Registered
21 Oct 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Well finally got my very first G Scale outdoor set up done, well mostly done bit of tidying up around the edges. Just a badic oval with siding so far so miniscu in terms of most people but hey have to start somewhere
Well done Kev. It’s the slippery slope from now on! Don’t be put off by the size and complexity of other people’s layouts and operating systems. If you’re like me and don’t have much in the way of practical skills or cash don’t worry you’ll pick up lots of hints and tips here. Don’t be put off by other people’s attitudes as long as your having fun and enjoying the hobby that’s what counts.

Kev Green

Registered
17 Feb 2023
North Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Well done Kev. It’s the slippery slope from now on! Don’t be put off by the size and complexity of other people’s layouts and operating systems. If you’re like me and don’t have much in the way of practical skills or cash don’t worry you’ll pick up lots of hints and tips here. Don’t be put off by other people’s attitudes as long as your having fun and enjoying the hobby that’s what counts.
Overall attitudes have been kind and positive

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Overall attitudes have been kind and positive
You haven't come across some of what is meant to be humour when threads deviate off topic, it can vary from cringe worthy to ...........

Kev Green

Registered
17 Feb 2023
North Devon
Best answers
Country flag
You haven't come across some of what is meant to be humour when threads deviate off topic, it can vary from cringe worthy to ...........
I'm a black belt I what's meant to be humour and wide shoulders

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
There's no shame in starting small, it gives you some room to grow. It's so easy to start on a mega layout then find you can't finish it.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
From small beginnings...........Most garden lines I have experience of seemed to only be limited by the very extreme boundaries of their operators' property. I'm sure there is some theory that may explain this phenomenon. Great start. Max

Kev Green

Registered
17 Feb 2023
North Devon
Best answers
Country flag
From small beginnings...........Most garden lines I have experience of seemed to only be limited by the very extreme boundaries of their operators' property. I'm sure there is some theory that may explain this phenomenon. Great start. Max
I want to get more knowledge before I expand further. This will be my canvas8C251ED7-1A3F-48C5-9FFD-E904F4DCD9C0.jpeg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

Kev Green

Registered
17 Feb 2023
North Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Nice!
Adding a railway to an established, tidy garden, should be a lot easier than to a tired garden that has been neglected..

PhilP
May need to discuss a bit of plant moving with my other half, this may take some time……

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
There's no shame in starting small, it gives you some room to grow. It's so easy to start on a mega layout then find you can't finish it.
Yep, way to go. That's how I started out over 23 years ago now.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
May need to discuss a bit of plant moving with my other half, this may take some time……
If your wife likes plants and gardening you have an advantage over me, have a surf through this forum for possible examples of planting to show your other half of what could be.