Help With LGB 65000 Sound Unit Please

Jakks72

Registered
27 Feb 2021
New England
Best answers
Sorry for the very basic background knowledge that I come in with here. Please bear with me.
Purchased LGB 65004 sound module to add sound to my LGB 2043 Electric Loco. Loco has 2 old LGB 55020 decoders controlling each of the two motors. Both 55020 decoders and the sound module are all set for address #3. I am running into two separate issues;
1. No standing sounds, and no sound comes on until train is moving and 55016 throttle is turned to about 30%. According to the paperwork, the sound module should have standing sounds (like my other locos do) on an dcc/mts layout, and progress through acceleration sounds etc. as the throttle is turned.
2. I cannot select individual sound module functions (bell, whistle, brakes, etc.) using my 55016. I am able to do so with my other decoder/sound equipped locos. Perhaps I have absolutely no clue how this sound module unit needs to be connected to access these functions

I'm a newbie with this 65004 unit, and I am stumped by how it should work and how it should be connected.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Does CV 29 match for speed steps?

Does your DCC equipment have 'P' stickers?

If you press function 1 do you get the whistle/horn?

PhilP

Jakks72

Registered
27 Feb 2021
New England
Best answers
Thank you for your response,

I haven't done any programming of the CVs. Thought it would work "out of the box"

The system I have is an old LGB serial system; however, the sound module literature says that it would work with both parallel and serial systems.

Pressing function 1 gives the usual "single blink" on the 55016 display, but the sound module produces no whistle or bell sounds.

I got to be honest, I have never used one of these sound modules...I not even sure how it is supposed connected.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
How did you connect it? It should be connected to the track pickups. You may be able to piggy back it on to the 55020 decoders (I would scrap these if you can as they are crap!). The 2 arrows in the pic show the 2 pins that you can connect to if they are free. [its a 55021 but the layout is the same]

55021ox.jpg

Jakks72

Registered
27 Feb 2021
New England
Best answers
Thanks again for your patience,

I know that the 55020s are antiquated. I will have to replace then as a last resort, I guess.

I originally connected it in the manner that you describe. Connecting the sound module unit to the two track pickup pins (on either of the 2 decoders) makes it so that the sound module produces no sound at all under any condition. I have no sound function capability, standing sounds, or running sounds through connecting it in this manner. There isn't even a "click" from the speaker upon connecting it. The only manner by which I am able to get any sound out of the unit is if I connect it to the two motor output pins (see attached picture) and then increase the throttle about 30%. Should there be constant voltage through the track pickup pins on a non-analog setup? If so, what voltage should it be reading?

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 0

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Jakks. Glad you've had some advice already,just watch out for the appalling jokes

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks again for your patience,

I know that the 55020s are antiquated. I will have to replace then as a last resort, I guess.

I originally connected it in the manner that you describe. Connecting the sound module unit to the two track pickup pins (on either of the 2 decoders) makes it so that the sound module produces no sound at all under any condition. I have no sound function capability, standing sounds, or running sounds through connecting it in this manner. There isn't even a "click" from the speaker upon connecting it. The only manner by which I am able to get any sound out of the unit is if I connect it to the two motor output pins (see attached picture) and then increase the throttle about 30%. Should there be constant voltage through the track pickup pins on a non-analog setup? If so, what voltage should it be reading?
The two pins circled in this picture are NOT the track pins!

See the arrowed pins on the picture Mark posted in post #4.

PS> Welcome to the Forum. What do we call you?

PhilP.

Jakks72

Registered
27 Feb 2021
New England
Best answers
The two pins circled in this picture are NOT the track pins!

See the arrowed pins on the picture Mark posted in post #4.

PS> Welcome to the Forum. What do we call you?

PhilP.
Yes, I know that,
My posting mentioned that I originally connected the sound module to the wh/brn track pins (the ones that muns pointed out) without any luck. My picture highlights the motor output pins gr/yel due to the fact that (as I stated) these are the ony pins in which I can attach the sound module and get any sort of functionality.
Thanks

Jakks72

Registered
27 Feb 2021
New England
Best answers
I wonder if the 65004 is not at address 3?

If this was true, it would not respond on DCC, but it might respond on analog, i.e. the motor output?

Greg
Thanks for the response Greg,
I purchased it from Trainz. It is supposedly brand new. As you know, the default address is 3, and it is attached to a decoder that is set at this same address. Is there any was of checking the address without having to reprogram the address of the decoder and sound module?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the response Greg,
I purchased it from Trainz. It is supposedly brand new. As you know, the default address is 3, and it is attached to a decoder that is set at this same address. Is there any was of checking the address without having to reprogram the address of the decoder and sound module?
To do any programming of the sound decoder you need to do it disconnected from the Loco IE on its own. Not sure what handsets you have but an LGB Loco Remote can do programming and read CV’s. That is the handset that has buttons for speed rather than a round knob.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
(I did mention on prog track by itself ;), but Jon reinforced it)

if you don't have the facilities to read CV's, you could try just writing the proper cv's to it, like the short address, and perhaps cv29, again I did not read the manual to understand the limitations of this, but here is a way to debug if you cannot read CVs.

Greg

Jakks72

Registered
27 Feb 2021
New England
Best answers
I did not read the manual, just glanced... I don't know if you can read from it in service mode... hook it up to a programming track by itself, try to read it in service mode.

Greg
Thank, I'll give it a try

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thank, I'll give it a try
I sell and install these as one of the DCC/DC sound system options for installing into cutomers' LGB locomotive's running on DC or DCC. To test the LGB 65000 series Sound Module' functionality, disconnect/remove it from your locomotive. First connect the volume controller to your LGB Sound Module, and then connect it directly to your DCC command station's DCC output wires to test it. Power up your DCC command station and press F8 for Sound On/Off. The default address is CV1=3. You should hear the operating sounds and when you start to apply the speed steps, the whistle should auto-activate. If you're not getting the sound module to work, then something is wrong. Try a decoder reset of the sound module using the basic: CV7=55. Check the unit's manual, there are three additional reset options, if the basic reset doesn't work. If after a complete reset it doesn't work, next try hooking up the sound module to DC analog power and see if you can then get it to work. I've found sometimes that gets the unit to work again using DC analog. Then you can connect it again to DCC and see if it works. If none of these attemps gets it working, it's defective and you should contact Trainz for a replacement or refund. If you bought it on eBay, you have the eBay Buyer Protection Guarantee and Trainz will have to refund your purchase price, plus the shipping you paid, plus pay for your return shipping. Note I sold a brand new LGB Sound Module to a customer last year and I suspect they connected the DC power input wires to the wrong connection on the module and that certainly fired it............I assume you didn't make that mistake.