Help with an LGB 21261

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
I finally got an LGB 21261 loco and tender. I am installing a massoth LS and L decoder in it ( mostly because it?s easy). If anyone has done this where did you place the speaker? Any details or pictures would be appreciated.:)

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
Stainzmaster thanks. do you by chance know what size and or make speaker you mounted in there?

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
A Massoth dealer actually advised me not to go down this route. The LS and L was my intention, however, he advised the operating characteristics of both are entirely different and I would have trouble matching the two decoders. I had intended mounting the speaker in the back of the firebox with sound exhausting through the backhead into the cabin.

Several have simply used an XLS powering both motors with the one decoder.

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the tip Tim, as usual day late and a dollar short for me. The L to go with my LS will most likely arrive today or tomorrow. I'll let you know how that works.:'( If not there is always plan B

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I put one XLS in the tender with the speaker there as well.

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
I did mine using a Massoth XLS in the loco. The speaker (massoth supplied one, 50mm) fits inside the firebox. The reason I fitted the XLS to the loco and not the tender is I like to hear the loco chuff, and not the tender making the noise. The 4 connecting wires between loco and tender are now 2 x pick up from tender to chip and 2 x power supply from chip to motor in tender. The only down side is that the tender lights are not wired up.