"HELP" Where can I get LGB MTS Decoders Repaired

Gareth

Railways,Transport, Wildlife ,History
28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Have had 2 decoder throw a wobbler have traced the problem to cause of problem but has cost me 2 decoders one causes a short and th other will only let loco run backwards so I feel that these are,nt to serious and can be rectified both I feel cannot be exchanged for warranty so is it possible to repair them and where or whom can repair them Advice appreciated !!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I'd talk to either Jeremy at Dragon or Brian at Glendale. If they can't do anything themselves, I would guess that Massoth might be able to repair them at a price, as they are almost certainly Massoth-made in the first place. Whether it is actually worth shipping them off to Germany is another matter, of course.

Jon.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
This isnt a gloating reply im genuinly sorry to here your troubles but its one of the main things that puts me off going down the digital route, yes i know there are lots of you out there with trouble free dig setups but untill the prices come down to OO/ HO standards il stick with two wires and something i can repair myself

Good luck Hope you can get them repaired

Tony

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Tony said:
This isnt a gloating reply im genuinly sorry to here your troubles but its one of the main things that puts me off going down the digital route, yes i know there are lots of you out there with trouble free dig setups but untill the prices come down to OO/ HO standards il stick with two wires and something i can repair myself

Good luck Hope you can get them repaired

Tony

I doubt if they will come down so much because they are low volume sales., unlike ho/oo

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Gareth,

What type of decoders are they.....55020, 55021, 55022, 55027 or onboard?

Dont want to sound negative but the cost of repairing them may not be cost effective.

Gareth

28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Had a word with Jeremy of Deagon G scale he suggested a way out . will try this "He Does not repair decoders as he feels they are not worth it he was very sympathetic though " Will try his idea .

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Glad to hear you got a good response from Jeremy, even if he couldn't actually help with repairs - he's (in my experience) probably the most friendly and helpful G scale dealer in the UK - I've bought a frightening amount of stuff from him in the last couple of years as a result.... ;)

Good luck with whatever it is he suggested you try!

Jon.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I blew up a couple a few years ago. It was obvious which bits had failed as it blew holes in the output transistors.
We had a chap in our local club in those days who was good at micro soldering, under a magnifying glass, who replaced the offending bits. Unfortunately he is no longer a member of our club but there are people around who can mend them.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
A while ago I managed to repair a Lenz Gold Maxi by replacing the FET output chip that had obviously blown - fortunately I could identify and source the component from Conrad. As Mike (Dutchlem) says, you need to be handy with micro soldering.

Although it worked, the decoder was never quite the same again (probably some other component had suffered and was on the verge of failure) so I withdrew it. To be honest I tried the repair more as a challenge: it was significantly cheaper than buying a new decoder, but fiddly. Don't think my eyes would really want to try it again!

If it were me, I'd just source an alternative decoder - probably another cheaper brand unless there's a compelling reason to continue with LGB/Massoth because of a unique feature you need. Depends which LGB decoder it is I guess?

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Gareth said:
Have had 2 decoder throw a wobbler have traced the problem to cause of problem but has cost me 2 decoders one causes a short and th other will only let loco run backwards so I feel that these are,nt to serious and can be rectified both I feel cannot be exchanged for warranty so is it possible to repair them and where or whom can repair them Advice appreciated !!

It sounds as though they are in the same loco.Is that right?
If so why not go for a massoth XLat less than £60.00 and can handle up to 3 amp.Sure Brian at Glendale can advise

Gareth

28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all the advice have aquired 2 new decoders and will settle on Massoth for future use I feel they are better laid out and seem more robust.