Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
a063739e80924e13a4ee28caec92f4ac.jpg
bd6bca6371be4e618e941b869387508a.jpg
fcbf383351a440229ac9c1fd8d53288b.jpg
Hi all

Visited Bay Models at Carnforth today and was taken by this very nice loco. It has twin LGB power bogies with a handbuilt metal chasis and body. The detail is very fine to me. Anyway a bit of bartering and it was mine. Here it is back home on the layout with a test train.

My question is does anybody know of a prototype or is it freelance. Either way I like it and you know what they say....a little bit of what you like does you good!!!!

Mike

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
Looks abit like an OBB 2091 i think....

Phil

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think that it is a very nice characature of a Modern diesel. The basis being similar to one produced by LGB. Not sure of the LGB Number series. I think that this may well have been built by a man that had a very nice Swiss layout in the Continental Modeller some years ago. Wil try to give an idea of who after some research.
jonD

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
I think you're right Jon. I can't remember the guys name, but he built a completely freelance layout that really looked the part. I think Bill may have bought the collection, because I remember seeing something similar about a year ago. Likewise, I'll have look through my old CM's later on.

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Well it's somewhat close.........................Or not...............
0b146c92a5da4cdca45d84d51aecb360.jpg

Tony F73E

Registered
19 Jun 2010
Best answers
Morning All,

I think the model was built by David Edgley who had a very good nice modern image line in Bedfordshire. I was lucky enough to visit his line and he also built a couple of locomotives for me. Sadly, David passed away a few years back.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Tony, I think that you are right on the button with Dave Edgley. I have been looking through my Razered Continental Modellers but have not found the article as yet. Must sort them out better! This is a beastie that is pretty close on the Ziller Bahn in Austria:-

http://schmalspur.bahnen.at/strecke...Loco,_D4,_Sound_(LGB_24512)/product_info.html < Link To http://www.spmodels.co.uk...2%29/product_info.html

So we have a couple of further options to guess at, together with the 4 wheeler as suggested by Minimans. There were also some 4 wheel diesels in Austria with a much longer wheelbase than that 4 wheeler. It is probable that Dave frelanced from these or similar options. His modelling was very iconic and I am very sad that I never got to see or operate the layout. I was in Luton at the time of his layout being published and would have loved to be in his operating team. He was great loss to the hobby.
JonD

Topogardenmike

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Guys

Thanks for all the info. It would seem that it is freelance but this does not detract from the model. The detail is excellent with a fully detailed control panel, lifting eyes, windscreen rubbers etc all modelled. It was made by Dave Edgely I recall now that it had a sticker on it in the shop.

Fell in love with this (you know what I mean!) as soon as I saw it and it captures the spirit of the narrow gauge railways in the area. Now what about some sound!

Thanks to all.

Mike

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
By the law of something or other begining with S, just after my reply I was looking at Evil Bay and found this on offer:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lgb-26512-Ltd...=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item335e2a81fb < Link To http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lgb...mp;hash=item335e2a81fb

It is the LGB model that I was thinking of in RHB livery.

As for sound, can I recommend the Massoth EMotion XLS Sound Decoder 822055. This is the Alco that I have used in my Piko 218. Nice and clattery. You can get a demo here by clicking on the speaker to the right of the product No.:-

http://www.massoth.com/index.en.html Hope this helps. JonD

JonathanJ

South African Railways, Garratts, PRR.
24 Oct 2009
Tyne and Wear
Best answers
Amazing how some people manage to produce an instantly recognisable house style - I've only just logged into the forums after a couple days offline, and I immeadiately said 'David Edgely' even before reading the text. Only knew the CFA from the articles (continental modeller June 92 and August 97), but really admired as a system.

Another of the locos was on ebay not so long back (sorry can't remember the item number, and didn't copy the photos, I think it was a boxcab diesel, possibly one of his 2096 type), so I guess the collection has been broken up. Any chance of some straight on side and end views for posterity?

J.

PS : Interesting that the loco is in metal, in the articles he was a major advocate of plasticard..

Weluvtrainz

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Following on from the Zillertalbahn loco I found this too. Thought the roof line of the model looked familiar.
WLT