Help Sourcing Ballast

tidswell.family

Registered
5 Jul 2019
Guildford
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All
I wonder if anyone can help? Does anyone know where I could source 3-5mm Cambrian Green alpine granite grit? I have been using this as ballast for some years, but my last reserves ran out and my local stone merchant where I used to purchase it has changed supplier and no longer stocks. I have looked on the web, but am struggling to find any, except one supplier (Japan Garden) who has 5mm, but the minimum quantity is a quarter of a tonne! If anyone knows of a source in the W Surrey / N Hampshire area or a stone company who will deliver, I would be grateful! Many thanks

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All
I wonder if anyone can help? Does anyone know where I could source 3-5mm Cambrian Green alpine granite grit? I have been using this as ballast for some years, but my last reserves ran out and my local stone merchant where I used to purchase it has changed supplier and no longer stocks. I have looked on the web, but am struggling to find any, except one supplier (Japan Garden) who has 5mm, but the minimum quantity is a quarter of a tonne! If anyone knows of a source in the W Surrey / N Hampshire area or a stone company who will deliver, I would be grateful! Many thanks
I have in the past found a couple of places that supply this. One near Iswich and the other near Purfleet. Been on my radar to visit for a coupe of years now as I need the more of same as you. Ipswich not done as it meant a drive both ways on the A14, not a drive to take lightly though Gizzy does it a lot. Purfleet is gettable by train so that was my first point of call option as I can go with Barney. But my round to it is not working, both actually offered samples which may be of use to you, butvthey do cost! However these days surfaces that are bonded with a sort of resin appear to be quite popular but not found anyone to ask about the base stones though many look around the right size. As a starter for 10 this lot may be worth a try with this product, does not say the size but well worth an ask.

tidswell.family

Registered
5 Jul 2019
Guildford
Best answers
Country flag
I have in the past found a couple of places that supply this. One near Iswich and the other near Purfleet. Been on my radar to visit for a coupe of years now as I need the more of same as you. Ipswich not done as it meant a drive both ways on the A14, not a drive to take lightly though Gizzy does it a lot. Purfleet is gettable by train so that was my first point of call option as I can go with Barney. But my round to it is not working, both actually offered samples which may be of use to you, butvthey do cost! However these days surfaces that are bonded with a sort of resin appear to be quite popular but not found anyone to ask about the base stones though many look around the right size. As a starter for 10 this lot may be worth a try with this product, does not say the size but well worth an ask.

Thanks for the suggestions - much appreciated!
All the best

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I try and scrounge the sharp stones they use on commercial brick drives and carparks, it may be the wrong colour for you though