Help re chipping

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
First off i have been reading PaulRHB thread and its brillaint very helpful http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=1252&high

But i still have a few questions .

[OL][*]I have a frank S with Two MTS 1 chips in it . I won a MTS 3 chip off ebay would there be any benefit in putting this in the franks .( Ie to replace one of the 2 chips in it )[*]If the above was of benefit i would then use the spare MTS1 chip for my spremberger. I can`t find info on chipping a spremberger would i be correct in thinking it would be almost identical to a stainz. [/OL] Cheers for any advise

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
On a hillside in Morley, overlooking Leeds!
Best answers
Re:Help re chipping

Second question first!

Yes ;)

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
On a hillside in Morley, overlooking Leeds!
Best answers

As to your first question, others who actually have a Frank S would be better placed to answer.

However, I'd have thought two matching chips would be better that two differing ones ?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

just checking:
a) by "MTS 1" you mean the old 55020 decoder?
b) by "MTS 3" you mean a 55027 decoder?
c) Your Spremberger has a "Direct Decoder Interface" (the round black symbol with white dots)?

I'd say leave the old 55020's where they are: even though they're not as good as newer 55021 or Massoth decoders at least they're matched.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the 55027 has the same "plug and play" pins (Direct Decoder Interface) as the 55020/21? You'd need to use a wiring harness to hook up the decoder (can't remember whether or not a 55027 comes with such a harness)

If it were me I'd probably save the 55027 for a loco that requires this decoder's interface and/or needs this more powerful decoder (a 55027 can drive two motors I think?), and maybe look out for a bargain 55021 or the Massoth equivalent for your Spremberger.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag

Nick Thanks for your reply its a 55027, are we saying i could use this chip on its own in a frank S and then have two spare MTS1 chips .

Or i have a blue mallet with sound should it be put in this loco.

Sorry for the stupid questions but i have no idea at all when it comes to digital.

36c794a496f24350a2d39c929e203774.jpg

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Steve said:
Nick Thanks for your reply its a 55027, are we saying i could use this chip on its own in a frank S and then have two spare MTS1 chips .
Or i have a blue mallet with sound should it be put in this loco.

This is where we need chaps who have experience of these particular locos to "chip in" (pun intended!)

Frank S is a loco and powered tender, yes? I would imagine that using the 55027 with Frank S may be tricky as you'd need additional wiring from loco to tender.

If your mallet has "MTS DCC interface" symbol (looks like the connector on your 55027) then obviously that'll be ideal. Otherwise you'll need a wiring harness, but the decoder itself will certainly run the loco nicely once hooked in.

[edit]
btw, having had a quick look around, I don't think there is a readily available wiring harness for hooking a 55027 to a loco that's designed for a 55020/21 decoder. At least, nothing by LGB or Massoth. The manual for 55027 says you'll probably have to cut off the connector and solder the wires to the loco circuit board. I'd probably try and solder some suitable pins to the decoder wires and plug these into the loco's direct decoder pins. But this would only enable basic functionality (motor and headlights) - not sure how you'd tackle getting the sounds operated by DCC.
[/edit]

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

steve,.. you d probabbly be best off getting two mts 2 (or equaliants) for the blue mallet/.. best to check 1st ,by haveing a quick look see in side the loco.. yes the mts3 can go into the frank s ..pritty much the same as we discussed with the masoth xls sound chip.. ie chip in tender driveing loco and tender motors..