Help for my sanity!

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
So far my delving into G scale has been very favourable.

However, I now find myself frustrated at having nothing I want to run. Most of my layout is "set-track" style and with just a short length of track to complete a circuit and the possibility of several routes to add to my interest I'm seeking advice please (again I hear you say), sorry?

So, what I would like is a simple battery powered locomotive just to chug around my track. It doesn't need to be R/C just to see something moving will give me a lift.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sarah Winfield

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sarah,
All hope is lost.. None of the 'Society' insurance policies have a 'Sanity Claus'! :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Sorry, could not resist.. With apologies to the Marx Brothers..

Do you want to 'buy new', of do a little work for this?

You should (with a little patience) be able to pick up a starter set diesel for around £50-60.
A 6-cell AA battery holder, a switch, and three pieces of wire, would be the minimum technical bit. Plus the six AA batteries and a charger. - If you do not already have these.

DSC01555.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you so much for the chuckle.:)

I don't mind doing some work in-fact it adds to my enjoyment to do something which pleases me and that I can see an end result.

The reason for my frustration is that I haven't yet received my Stainz back and I beginning to get a deja vu feeling.

Obviously it would be better if I could take it from the box, plonk it on my LGB track and watch it take off!

But just to have something to focus on will take my mind off things.

Thanks,

Sarah Winfield

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, the frustration of our Postal System, and a bank holiday! :(:rolleyes:

I think your Stainz should be back home in a day or two?? - Probably a lot sooner than you can obtain, and fettle, something else.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thinking...
As long as you disconnect your feed to the track.. You can stuff some wires from a bunch of batteries up that auxiliary socket on the back of one of your loco's.. The batteries can sit in a wagon behind the loco.

Even a little PP3 9V battery would run a small LGB loco for about an hour.. - Though 9 Volts might be a little fast?
YMMV.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So, I know you have a DCC system, do none of your locos run?

I'd sit tight for your Stainz to reappear, rather than building something new, and having a new and different set of problems.

Reactions: 2 users

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
I picked this up for £5 recently at a car boot. Battery powered and it even has sound.

Paul

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Sarah,

To answer your original question for a ready to run diesel in 45mm gauge, the only manual control battery loco I know of is the Mamod Boulton at £325.

If you can handle a simple kit then the IP Engineering Glaslyn 0-4-0 at £140 looks a good option.

Beyond that there are small diesels from Piko at £200 and Accucraft at £350, both of which are track powered and will need to be converted to battery.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

PS. For VoodooPenguin, I bought one of those Wild West train sets ten years ago. The loco was converted into a track cleaner with a rotating brush on the front, the tender and boxcar were modified and repainted and are now part of my freight rolling stock and the caboose was grounded and became my railway company head office. However you do need to replace the wagon wheels with metal otherwise they just bounce off the track at the first sight of a pine needle.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sarah, there are quite a few options out there. Sadly not still in production butvthe Playmobil City Freight set is a good option and even comes with a Wagon. Bit fast at times but you will find some including myself have managed to open it up and fit Diodes to slow it down and make more controllable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Playmobil-5258-Action-Control-Freight/dp/B0077QSSTU

Somewhat more expensive than a lot of us paid for but still not out of this world.

There are lots of other 2nd hand Battery Trains from PM, with Battey Radio Control as well. I recently got this loco from a forum member. The coaches came very cheeply from PM direct. This was all last year but who knows what some members may have lurking that they wish to sell on?image.jpegimage.jpeg

Be a little careful on bidding some of the cheepo US Style Sets, not all are 45 Track Gauge. There was a lovely set in Maplin either last or the Christmas before at a weird unknown gauge between 0 and 45.

Reactions: 1 user