Help 0-4-0 only runs in one direction

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
LGB 0-4-0 Henschel digital capable with flashing lights etc.

It will only run one way and no longer will run with lights on. I was using it in the rain when this happened so it is in to dry out.

Familiar? any ideas? 2nd hand so no one to go back too. It has been ballasted with lead but not overly so, and i was very careful to avoid any bare lead near any components.

:-( I must say this hobby is great but there are fair few frustrations too- just got them running nicely as a pair and now they won't cos of this. arghhhh.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
oh no. does that matter even though i am analogue? what do i do now?

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
i really thought these things were durable and weather proof??

Oh well I guess I have spares for the other now. I don't think i will have a clue how to fix. these things are jolly epensive so its very disapointing when they break with a bit of water.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Where abouts are you in the UK there are a lot of clever helpful people out there who may be able to help you ( Ok before any one says it not me ) :D

Steve

1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Thats the UK out then :rofl:

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
yes put down to experience agreed! so we're agreed thats the diagnosis? I guess the water is a big coincidence if it's not. It can't be made to run in a more simple way considering I am analogue?

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
<p>
tac - 5/12/2009 7:53 PM Respectfully, I don't actually know of anybody who runs their expensive trains in the rain. Hope it dries out for you, but if it doesn't, then you've learned a valuable lesson - they CAN be run outdoors, but pouring rain should be avoided if possible. tac www.ovgrs.org
</p><p>You've never met Mike or Simon then!</p><p>Both have had engines land in ponds... an Aster Mallet, in Simon's case! Both still work fine...
</p>

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Stick it in the airing cupboard overnight .............. and say a little prayer.

Then try it again tomorrow (as long as its not raining). You MIGHT find you have got away with it (I did once).

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I have run my older LGB locos in the wet more times than I remember, starting from around 1975! However I agree with the opinion that the later ones (more recent than say about 15 years or so old) have more complex electronics that can be much more sensitive to damp conditions.

Hopefully after drying out the loco overnight all will be fine, as mentioned others have got away with it.

If it doesn’t work after drying out all is not lost, I suggest you look at the following threads from the old forum. I still have the photos for these on file, but I suspect that, should you chose to go this route, you’ll probably get someone to make these simple circuits for you. I suggest stripping the electronics out and replacing in both locos as you often run them as a pair. One set of original electronics could serve as a complete spare and the other as a possible source of spare components.

http://www.gscalecentral.co.uk/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=207&posts=1&mid=2003&highlight=&highlightmode=1&action=search#M2003

http://www.gscalecentral.co.uk/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=143&posts=18&mid=5653&highlight=&highlightmode=1&action=search#M5653

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hey chaps thats great. It's drying as we speak- yep thats the one!

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I did know that they don't mix, but I think I bought into the LGB indestructible thing a bit naively! My other stuff is truly ancient and plodded on this afternoon through the wet as you can see in the video thread section :D.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
funandtrains - 5/12/2009 9:19 PM

<p>
Cheeky Monkey - 5/12/2009 9:17 PM I didn't think water and electricity mixed very well
</p><p>Except when you are boiler the kettle for a cuppa!:D </p>

And, as another example, an immersion heater to heat the bath water!

Steve

1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Neil Robinson - 5/12/2009 10:01 PM
funandtrains - 5/12/2009 9:19 PM <p>
Cheeky Monkey - 5/12/2009 9:17 PM I didn't think water and electricity mixed very well
</p><p>Except when you are boiler the kettle for a cuppa!:D </p><p>
</p><p>Can i have a link please Neil sound good ;) </p>

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
On a hillside in Morley, overlooking Leeds!
Best answers
Steve - 5/12/2009 10:04 PM
Neil Robinson - 5/12/2009 10:01 PM
funandtrains - 5/12/2009 9:19 PM <p>
</p><p>Except when you are boiler the kettle for a cuppa!:D </p><p>
</p><p>Can i have a link please Neil sound good ;) </p><p>
</p><p>How about an illustration ;) </p>

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Well back to the 0-4-0 rather than Neil in the bath.... she runs perfectly after being disassembled and left in the airing cupbord for 18 hours... phew I was lucky and have leanrt a good little lesson...

back to you guys and water and electricty mixing examples ;-)

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
yes thanks for the advice!!

Round n Round

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Lancashire
Best answers
What is the opinion about running the LGB Snow plough 25604 in the Snow. I bought it, new, about 6 years ago. Although I have never run it in the snow, it was bought with that intention in mind, I have never had the nerve to do so. I ask because of the electronic which I asume it has.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
tre ver, your missing the point :rofl: sisnce you got the snowplow, it ant snowed!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Round n Round

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Lancashire
Best answers
<p>Never a truer word spoken in jest, Mike.</p><p>You are so right, BUT WHAT IF</p>

Steve

1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
<p>
Round&Round - 6/12/2009 4:18 PM What is the opinion about running the LGB Snow plough 25604 in the Snow. I bought it, new, about 6 years ago. Although I have never run it in the snow, it was bought with that intention in mind, I have never had the nerve to do so. I ask because of the electronic which I asume it has.
</p><p>Trevor you have the model that is unsafe to run in snow , very dangerous , send it to me i will look after it for you .No cost to you :D :bighug: :rofl: </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>Danger being you will have a huge grin when it snows </p>