Helmsman 5A melted?!

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Decided to clean tracks and run some trackpower stuff.

No power. On investigation the back of the helmsman box has melted such that the weight of the external heat sink has dragged the back off!

Bit odd. I haven't used it for months. Even if little fingers had been at it shouldn't it have some internal shut offs? Besides it has been off at the wall which is out of reach. Weird. Must have happened months ago.

Its about two years old, but i can't find the paperwork. Grrrr.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Might be worth Googling Helmsman and getting contact details from the web.

My understanding is that these units have a lifetime guarantee and Helmsman are very good at repairing under this warranty....

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks chaps, I will call them and see what they say...

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
Strange I have one of these and they make them using top quality parts as it even has a toroidal transform for less power spikes and these are normally used in high end high fi amps.

marshman

Registered
9 Feb 2010
north norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have one that has just packed up. I contacted them & Geoff Helm replied with instructions of where to send together with amount required to return it. They are guaranteed for life.

E

Elmtree Line

I have seen a number of them where the back panel melts, i think the plastic used is not heat resistant enough and when the HUGE heatsink gets hot the plastic back panel unfortunately melts.

Mr Helm has in all cases replaced without question.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks for that so not just me!! I must phone them.