Hello.

keithb

Registered
5 Sep 2018
Ruskington, Sleaford Lincolnshire
Best answers
Hello everyone. I live in Lincolnshire England. I am completely new to G scale railway's any tips and hints are most welcome.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum Keith!

You can spend many happy-hours going through the previous posts.. There are many 'stories' of how people have developed their railways over the years.
No question is too 'silly' to ask.. Though you may find some of our answers to be really silly, at times! - A good sense of humour will help.

Don't spend to much to start with.
Don't map-out a two-acres railway, start with something small, and achievable.
DO get 'something' running early on. - It helps keep you going.
It is YOUR railway, run what YOU want.. - You can develop a theme later.
Oh, and enjoy yourself! :):nod::nod::nod:

PhilP

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome from North Yorkshire. Follow Phil's advice and you can't really go wrong.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, there's a few Lincolnshire types on this forum, perhaps you could meet up with them to see what they've achieved

Wistow vale rlwy

Registered
20 Feb 2010
WISTOW NORTH YORKSHIRE
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Keith.
As Philip says, lots of info on the forum, and a lot to learn from other people's mistakes - we've all made them! - and the man that hasn't, hasn't done anything!
Just bite the bullet and get some track down and enjoy this wonderful hobby!
Best regards, Graham.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Keith. You're in for a good time here.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Keith, the search facility is quite good when looking for a specific subject, however as with all search facilities it is not intuitive - have lots of fun!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC, Keith.....

PhilP's advice is all very sound, but especially the bits about getting something up and running soon (which I didn't, for many years) and above all, having fun with it!

Jon.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Keith. I would always advise newbies to get a starter set, either LGB or PIKO, they contain everything you need to get started, track, loco, trucks, controller, transformer, and much better value than buying the individual bits. I would suggest an "analog" a.k.a. DC starter set rather than "digital" a.k.a. DCC as they are cheaper and simpler to get going. You can get one new for less than £250. Do you have some model railway experience in smaller scales like HO/OO or N?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Keith as Phil says start small you can always add more larer as I have just been doing this last week. Suggest you look at what is available and then come up with a theme for your line, saves lots of hastle and expence in the long run. Buying something in G cos it is nice can be a route to a mish mash that may look nice in the Pansies but ohhhhh. You can guess that I Model pretty much an East German Narrow Gauge (NG) line with few deviations from that theme.

What interests you English, German Swiss NG or Continental Standard Gauge or even US of either? Lots to choose from the availabke stuff and to be honest many mix and match with happy abandon.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hello and welcome to the madness Keith

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome from the edge of nowhere - well the Norfolk coast actually, not far from Great Yarmouth. Once you get started if you need anything, I might just be able to help you.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi and welcome from a fellow Yellow Belly :)

keithb

Registered
5 Sep 2018
Ruskington, Sleaford Lincolnshire
Best answers
Welcome Keith. I would always advise newbies to get a starter set, either LGB or PIKO, they contain everything you need to get started, track, loco, trucks, controller, transformer, and much better value than buying the individual bits. I would suggest an "analog" a.k.a. DC starter set rather than "digital" a.k.a. DCC as they are cheaper and simpler to get going. You can get one new for less than £250. Do you have some model railway experience in smaller scales like HO/OO or N?
No, I have no model railway experience but I do have some from air-fix models that I did in a younger life. I have seen plenty of films about rail modelling and now I have more time I thought I would give it a go.

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Keith;
Welcome...
Do lots of research, and try not to make mistakes others have already made...make new ones of your own, and brag about them...why let others dominate; your own mistakes will prove to be more fun, and far better than those of others...!!!
Fred Mills

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Keith,

I'm pretty much a newbie at this myself. I'm not in a position to offer any great tips cos I'm still feeling around myself. But I can at least say what I did, and its kinda worked ok so far. Having decided I wanted a g scale layout as a garden feature (as opposed to something modelled on real life) I bought a starter set so I had something that would work out of the box. As someone said earlier in the thread getting a loco running as soon as possible is a good idea. It fires up the enthusiasm. Beware of its addictive side tho! I honestly thought I would be happy with a small oval to add interest to a shady corner of the garden. But I keep finding ways to add a little bit more :)

Hope you have as much fun as me... good luck with your railway.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Nothing wrong with an oval of track on the grass!

DSC01630.JPG

Though your's might start a little smaller! ;):nod:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
No, I have no model railway experience but I do have some from air-fix models that I did in a younger life. I have seen plenty of films about rail modelling and now I have more time I thought I would give it a go.
Hi again Keith, you would be well advised o visit Glendale Junction in Market Deeping, they hava a Modest G Scale Railway and lots of second hand at the moment. You are also welcome to come see my setup in St.Neots if you wish, my line is possibly a bit ambitious for a beginner but I can always help with feet on the ground type advice. Plus some of what I have done is entirely dooable for the beginer if you lok at varying sections with blinkered eyes.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Keith....

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
Hello everyone. I live in Lincolnshire England. I am completely new to G scale railway's any tips and hints are most welcome.

be welcome!

the most important tip:
it is your railway - meaning, it has to please you. and just you. and only you.

(meaning, tips from others are to help you to realize your ideas in your garden or shed, not to impose our preferences)