Hello from York

Fishplate

Registered
5 Mar 2021
York uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks

just joined this site as I am building a LGB garden railway for my grandchildren. Just about to start laying track so keen to pick up any tips!

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks

I am building a LGB garden railway for my grandchildren.

Yeah, yeah, we've all heard that one before, pull the other one.

David

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, 'Fishplate',
Tips :
1.Keep it flat.
2 Keep it level (crosswise).
3.Do something simple to start-with. - Especially if young people are involved, a roundy-roundy is a good idea, as they won't run out of track, if distracted..

Some 'cheaper' (yes, I know) items are a good idea..

Enjoy!

PhilP

Reactions: 1 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome from Scarborough. You've started a never ending task!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome from a fellow albeit temporary York resident back in 1972 only. Good advice offered here before my 2 pennyworth. Look below and you can see a couple of links to my line.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hello and Welcome, I built mine for the Grandchildren :think: :think: no wait I didn't have any Grandchildren when I started , but I had the forethought that one day I would have some :rofl::rofl:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, Most questions will be answered, just look out for the jokes!

Fishplate

Registered
5 Mar 2021
York uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, 'Fishplate',
Tips :
1.Keep it flat.
2 Keep it level (crosswise).
3.Do something simple to start-with. - Especially if young people are involved, a roundy-roundy is a good idea, as they won't run out of track, if distracted..

Some 'cheaper' (yes, I know) items are a good idea..

Enjoy!

PhilP
Thanks - simple and round I can do....the topography of the garden makes level difficult! But fairly benign gradients so should be ok.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum Mr Fishplate....

Wistow vale rlwy

Registered
20 Feb 2010
WISTOW NORTH YORKSHIRE
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome indeed from the Wistow Vale Rlwy - (I'm in Wistow, just a few miles south of York) I too built mine for the grandchildren, honest!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome indeed from the Wistow Vale Rlwy - (I'm in Wistow, just a few miles south of York) I too built mine for the grandchildren, honest!
At Wista, lived at Thorpe Willoughby from 1972-8 and yes I had a garden railway there as well.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I didn't know Witow was near York. It doesn't sound as if it's near York

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
At Wista, lived at Thorpe Willoughby from 1972-8 and yes I had a garden railway there as well.
My father lived at Thorpe Willoughby from 1970 until he died in 2001.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi and welcome, and I have photos (on the forum) of my grandkids playing with my railway.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I didn't know Witow was near York. It doesn't sound as if it's near York
Selby is 12 miles from York, well Thorpe was anyway and Wistow was in the Selby, Cawood (closer to YORK) and Wistow Light Railway. When I moved to Thorpe in 1972 the old Station and yard at Cawood was still intact the building being a rather nice residence. Got put up for sale but sadly out of my reach, bought by a builder and the building demolished along with all the other Railway buildings that were still present and turned into an insignificant housing estate sadly.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Selby is 12 miles from York, well Thorpe was anyway and Wistow was in the Selby, Cawood (closer to YORK) and Wistow Light Railway. When I moved to Thorpe in 1972 the old Station and yard at Cawood was still intact the building being a rather nice residence. Got put up for sale but sadly out of my reach, bought by a builder and the building demolished along with all the other Railway buildings that were still present and turned into an insignificant housing estate sadly.
After posting my original pot, there suddenly flashed through my mind, "Ah, of course, Wistow mine!".

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks - simple and round I can do....the topography of the garden makes level difficult! But fairly benign gradients so should be ok.
You can try to keep it as level as possible by averaging things out - slight cuttings and gentle embankments, just like the 1:1 railways ;);)

The civil engineering maxim for roads is 'cut equals fill'. Now, while this is desirable from a cost point of view, it also helps to reduce the gradients. Have a look at the proposed line and see what can be achieved, it'll be worth it in the long run, and sit more naturally in the gardenscape :)