Hello from Wildomar California

PorknBeanr

Registered
28 Dec 2022
Wildomar Ca. USA
Best answers
Country flag
New to this hobby. I am in the process of contructing a G scale shelf train in my house. Any helpful comments are appreciated.

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to our nice friendly online club. It is an awesome hobby you will truly enjoy if you like to watch trains. As a suggestion before you buy anything don't be afraid to ask here. What do you have so far? Jim (I have spent time in la sd (your) area and liked it.). second fav trip.

PorknBeanr

Registered
28 Dec 2022
Wildomar Ca. USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have Piko 2-6-0 mogul and several passenger coaches. Piko track and Piko digital power.20221228_094221.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the picture. Feel free to send more. I will be 1 year in a few months. I have a Garden railway that meanders in my garden for 100 feet.

PorknBeanr

Registered
28 Dec 2022
Wildomar Ca. USA
Best answers
Country flag
Since there will be two through wall turns I am using R1 600mm. According to Piko this loco will run these curves without problem. The passenger coaches are relatively short as well. I am partial to Union Pacific because my family has worked for UP since my grandfather migrated from England to Green River Wyo. around 1910. He worked at the coal tipple nearby along with my uncles and my dad. They all grew up in Winton Wyo. which was owned by the coal company. My dad was very familiar with the UP Big Boy as it often passed by his house on its route from Green River to Ogden Utah

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So, R1 will limit your selection of locos severely. Be sure you can be happy with that selection.

Alternatively, if you can use larger radius, now is the time. Too tight of a curve is the #1 mistake of newcomers.

Greg

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Used r1 s are the cheapest track around. That and limited space are it's only advantage. Sounds like you have a plan.

PorknBeanr

Registered
28 Dec 2022
Wildomar Ca. USA
Best answers
Country flag
The run is about 60'. I knew going in I could only use certain locos and that is fine. Sometime next year I have a plan {dream} for an approx. 250' railroad outside in the garden where there is room for 10' curves. Im sure I will be asking a lot of questions about that. I would like to run a Dash9 loco with freight cars. I better start saving now!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Pork, have a look at my (new railway)build link below that may give you some ideas. Plenty of other ideas in the many threads to be found via the menu options.

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome PorknBeans, or do you have a more common use name ;). The forum is friendly and will provide plently of advice, however not all of it will suit you, as you have found out we love photos, it is also fair to warn you about the dire humour and puns, and not all from this side of the pond.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Greetings.
Enjoy your time with us. With this hobby there are plenty of questions to ask and even more answers to think through after you have asked. Time spent searching through the different threads is well worthwhile as many answers already exist having been asked before.
Plenty of pictures please.
Trevor

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, just beware of the humour

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Mr Beanz....