Hello from West Texas

RogerK

Registered
3 Jun 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hello fellow garden railroaders. I've been lurking around for a while and decided it was about time to introduce myself properly and join in the fun.

I became interested in garden railroading about 10 years ago when I was in New Mexico. I went to open houses for about a year and became fascinated with live steam. Ignoring all advice to pick a scale, location and era, I acquired a rather eclectic collection of locomotives from Roundhouse (Billy, Katie, SR&RL and Silver Lady) and some 78n2 locomotives from Accucraft. Everything runs on 45mm track and my original layout featured scenery, rather than structures because of the mixed scale and countries.

I moved to the high plains of West Texas last year and I'm in the process of building a new layout designed (raised and level) to accommodate live steam. Because the layout has sections of track that cannot be reached from the perimeter, I started looking for a battery powered "rescue" locomotive and discovered the Bachmann Lyn. I converted it to battery with the RailBoss/Mylocosound/battery combination in a trailing car.

Although originally intended as a rescue locomotive, I have become quite fond of the simplicity of running the battery powered Lyn with Accucraft SR vans and wagons. I bought a couple more Lyns as backup and will probably renumber one and claim the L&B bought a second Baldwin. As a result, I have decided the layout will have a British appearance this time around, which probably explains why I joined this forum. I will primarily run the Silver Lady with Accucraft W& L rolling stock and the Lyn(s). The SR&RL will make an occasional tour of the British countryside; much like the Flying Scotsman did in the US.

Anyway, looking forward to advice and guidance, especially on sourcing buildings.

Roger Kruse

Here’s a photo of the current layout under construction. Dimensions are 32' x 20' x 2' and minimum radius is 6.5'.

layout6.jpg

Loosely based on this track plan with a 45 degree crossing to keep it level.

track1.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Welcome aboard, Roger - That's an impressive railway in your yard.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Roger - looking forward to further developments!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Roger!
I see a lovely uncluttered perimeter fence, just aching for the l-o-n-g phase two! :eek:;)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC, Roger, looks like a fantastic layout you have got there.....

Jon.

RogerK

Registered
3 Jun 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag
be welcome!
planning a real water feature?

Probably not, although I do have water available. Our 1/2 acre property has underground sprinklers and I installed four sprinkler heads in the layout to water future plants. The "rivers" are there to drain the layout in case of a significant rainfall, although this part of the country was once referred to as the Great American Desert.

Welcome Roger!
I see a lovely uncluttered perimeter fence, just aching for the l-o-n-g phase two! :eek:;)

Yea, it's kind of a shame that I'm not running Gauge 1 trains since I have the room for it.

Reactions: 1 user

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Roger....